I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ice rod questions
Posted by: Philip Marz (47.203.213.---)
Date: October 25, 2018 07:44PM

I'm going to be building a custom ice rod and know nothing about fishing through ice so I'm wondering about a few things. Which would be a better blank glass or carbon and what effects does the cold have on either? What is a good handle length from center of the reel foot to the end on the butt? What size spinning reels are normally used. Lastly, I'm guessing guides without inserts would be best? This is being ordered as a gift for someone in Canada, the information I have on the type of fish targeted is sketchy. Being in Florida I've never given any thought to ice rods so any information would be helpful. Thanks

Phil

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ice rod questions
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 25, 2018 09:17PM

Phil,
Go with a solid blank. Your choice of either fiberglass or carbon.
A nice grip is a 7 inch solid cork grip which is glued onto the blank and then the reel is taped to the cork. The cork does not get cold and will accomodate any type reel.

A popular reel that is now coming on board are the round reels: [www.sportsmansguide.com]

By using reels as listed above, you have no issues with line twist and one can simply use one size guides as well as the tip.

The Pac Bay minima guides are a nice choice that are without inserts, are tough, and are inexpensive.

A typical ice rod will have 2-4 guides - depending on the blank. Typically the first guide will be about 5-7 inches from the reel. Then, the other 1-3 guides will be spaced according to the length of the rod and the stiffness of the rod.

Depending on the fish being targeted, the rod might be 15 inches to 50 inches. The number of guides will vary from 2-4 or 5 guides. The action will vary from ultra, ultra, untra light to heavy action.

Pictures of three different ice rods - all different lengths and different actions and powers. These rods all happen to be spinning rods. A common spinning reel size will vary from 500 - 2500 -- small and light for very light action rods and lines and larger and heavier reels for heavier power and stiffer action rods with heavier line.

Examples of different ice rods and reels:

[www.sportsmanswarehouse.com]

As you can see from the prices on these products - one does not build ice fishing rods to save any money.

Good luck

Posted by: Victor Heal (---.sub-174-255-14.myvzw.com)
Date: October 28, 2018 03:08PM

What is the customer fishing for? Spinning or baitcasting? What technique will they be using? What line weight? How do they hold the rod (I pencil grip my panfish rods for instance)? Are they fishing in a shanty or out hole hopping? So many questions to ask before starting.

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.dhcp.chtrptr.net)
Date: October 28, 2018 11:50PM

Vic is right, There are a lot of options available for you. Personally, I prefer a solid glass blank, because of their durability, flexibility, and price. Janns Microlite blanks are one of my go to blanks. If you shanty fish, typically a rod in the 24-28 inch length works well. The Janns blanks come in 31 inch, and you can trim from the butt. There is a Face Book page that may be very helpful to you to look at called "Ice Rod Building-Tips and Tricks" ( [www.facebook.com] ) that you could check into, with a ton of information about Ice Rods.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster