I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Standup rod finish? &and dust prevention between coats?
Posted by: Scott Lawrence (118.210.206.---)
Date: October 25, 2018 03:41PM

Hi Guy's,
Just wondering how many people put finish on the whole rod when making standup/ trolling style rods. The 15kg rod I am building seems to get scratches very easy on the blank. I know it would add weight but wonder what other problems can arise.As this is only my second build I am a little concerned about being able to get a good finish over such a large area.Also I wonder about proper adherence of the epoxy finish to the blank as there is no way to get a water break surface prep I thInk. Also what do people do before doing next coat of finish? Hope to bind and coat over the weekend on this long winded project.
Tight lines Scott.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2018 03:41PM by Scott Lawrence.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Standup rod finish? &and dust prevention between coats?
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 25, 2018 03:47PM

Rod wrap epoxy is not what should be used to coat a full blank. Too soft and heavy! The best overcoat is Perma Gloss. You can do a search on it's application.

Posted by: herb canter (---.dsl.atmc.net)
Date: October 25, 2018 07:36PM

Phil is dead on you definitely do not want to use rod wrapping finish on the whole rod . I tried Permagloss for the first time last year and that stuff is amazing , easy to apply, dries fast and the finish it provides is super light and durable.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 26, 2018 01:27AM

There's no reason why you can't epoxy the whole rod. St.Croix FlexCoats all their rods from the fore grip to the tip/top and they look beautiful.
Yes its true, it adds weight. About as much as a book of matches, and I'll bet you carry a cell phone but that doesn't seem to bother anyone now does it.
As far as dust goes, If you have any kind of draft or air flow in the area where you finish your rods your gonna get dust particles. If I showed you a photo of my shop, you would probably call O.S.H.A. to report a dangerous condition But, I have no draft created by fans or leaky windows and doors. My finish comes out flawless. Low R.P.M. finishing motors are another asset along with high build epoxy and alot of it to fill in any differences where you want a smooth transition from bare blank to a wrapped area.
The second coat( if you desire to add one) will adhere seamlessly without any further preparation
When the rod gets too heavy for Me, I'll take up bird watching or stamp collecting..

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: herb canter (---.dsl.atmc.net)
Date: October 26, 2018 04:11AM

There's no reason why you can't epoxy the whole rod. St.Croix Flex Coats all their rods from the fore grip to the tip/top and they look beautiful.

Dennis i assume you mean they use Flex Coat epoxy glue for the fore grips , reel seat etc... and use Flex Coat high build finish for the guide wraps because i say with 100% certainty that St. Croix DOES NOT use flex coat rod wrapping finish to coat the entire rod .

Date: October 27, 2018 01:23AM

Herb, If their not using Flex Coat then its got to be something else.. I base my theory on the description of how their rods are built and the products they use to build them with. I also have the experience of working on these rods, and I can tell you the painted area between the guides have some sort of epoxy finish. How I know this is because with a little heat from a heat gun it gets soft and can be removed with little effort. Heat will not break down Perma Gloss or any other finish like it.
Now tell me why you are 100% sure St. Croix does not coat the whole blank.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 27, 2018 08:49AM

Dennis,
Give St. Croix a call and they will tell you how they coat the blank.

I believe that it is a flexible paint of some sort.

But, the other posts have it correct. The finish is not a typical Flex Coat or similar guide wrap finish.

Good luck

Date: October 27, 2018 12:25PM

To All: If you want to cease innovation in this craft you are "right on" and "100% certain " to curtail the individuality of what we do.
The question remains. How many people put finish on the whole blank? I have. Anyone else?

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 27, 2018 02:32PM

Putting rod wrap epoxy on the whole blank is senseless, when there are far better products to use for the purpose! Rod wrap epoxy, even light goes on too thick, is too soft, degrades with UV and is heavy. I believe these are enough reasons to avoid using it for an unintended purpose.
A call to St. Croix will easily clear up the misconception about what they use.

Posted by: Scott Lawrence (118.210.206.---)
Date: October 27, 2018 04:38PM

I have decided just to leave this rod as is and just put finish on he binds. Will look into the permagloss. Thanks for your time.
Scott.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: October 29, 2018 12:20AM

Dennis,
Glad to hear someone else has coated an entire blank with wrap finish. That is how I finished the first three blanks when starting to wrap 3 years ago until everyone on this site stated it was not a good idea. The ultimate finish looks better than any of the numerous blanks I’ve coated with PG. Rather than just globbing it on with a brush, I applied it with saturated lint-free gauze while rotating at approximately 75RPM, then came back over it with a dry gauze, back and forth, until the application was extremely thin and even. While having to repeat the process 3 or 4 times to achieve the desired luster was time consuming, those three rods look noticeably better than any I’ve done with PG and the coats are so thin I cannot imagine the overall coating being noticeably heavier than two coats of PG. Nonetheless, I have resorted to PG on my present builds. But I still stand wrap finish can be substituted for rod finish if applied correctly. I thought I was the only one. Let it be known I am not willing to debate the subject. I am simply offering my experiences to others.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 29, 2018 10:16AM

Scott,
The simplest and lightest finish on a rod is no finish at all.
If you start with a new bare blank, just polish it as needed and build the rod.

If you are rebuilding an old rod, completely strip the blank free of 100% of all finish and then, do a final wet sand - starting with 100 grit and moving up to 1200 grit. When done, you will have a perfectly polished finish that has 0 weight, since there is nothing on the blank.

Both fiberglass and graphite do not need any finish, since the epoxy used to make the rod provides a very nice durable finish.

Good luck

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster