I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lightest reel seat?
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: October 25, 2018 03:19PM

Quick question from a self-admitted weight weenie....:)

What is the lightest reel seat available?

Would it be the Fuji SKSS? And if it, anyone has the weight on the SKSS?

And how about the lightest arbors to fit between the reel seat and blank?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Mo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2018 03:20PM by Mo Yang.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lightest reel seat?
Posted by: Robert Drabik (---.ostnet.pl)
Date: October 25, 2018 04:39PM

Dolphin reel seat, handmade in Poland.
Weight 1/2 oz max
Without any arbors.

A controversial solution from Poland. Patented.

All made of carbon.

Examples:

[www.facebook.com]

Distributor of luxury Japanese blanks, FUJI guides.
SUZUKI BLANKS, Carefully made in Tokyo, Japan

[brcrods.com]

We also provide services to wholesale customers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2018 04:40PM by Robert Drabik.

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.subs.proxad.net)
Date: October 25, 2018 05:09PM

In Fuj Line DPS is lighter than over, not so far but lighter.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 25, 2018 05:36PM

a straight carbon foam core where the sear ids to be set and tape the reel on that would be the very lightest that you could do.
A Tennessee style handle

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 25, 2018 06:07PM

The very lightest reel seat is to use no reel seat.
Weight is 0.

Put the reel on the blank and use pvc tape to secure it to the blank.

Then, put one guide on the rod in the middle of the blank and a tip top on the rod and you will have a very light rod that will catch fish.

Good luck

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 25, 2018 06:18PM

Roger, the tape has weight, so not zero. The foam core suggestion would result in a much more comfortable seat with negligible added weight. But I think the question was relative to a reasonable solution that would have decent comfort and durability. I would think, without having data, that a skeleton seat would weigh no more than about 1/2 ounce. Like the SKSS or PacBay skeletons. Would be comfortable for casting, not so sure on spin.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: October 25, 2018 09:02PM

I was curious and weighed a few size16 Fuji reel seats I had on hand. Since I did not have any SK2 moveable hoods on hand I weighed them all without a hood. Also did not have the SK2 spin body so weighed the casting body instead, I assume the spin body would be slightly lighter.. All Included the weight of 2” of a batson foam arbor. All the threaded barrels can be cut back to reduce weight.
SK2 casting body, threaded barrel , and arbor = 14 grams
DPSD seat, and arbor = 14 grams
TVS seat, CFX graphite insert and arbor = 19 grams

Also weighed some Minima4 guide sets in chrome and Titanium TiBlack. These sets are KR-like guide sets (similar in height to Fuji KL-H) each contained 20M, 10M, 5M, and six size 4F running guides also weighed a chrome set containing 16M, 8M, 5M and six 4F runners. Did not have a Titanium TiBlack set on hand. Did not have the equivalent titanium Torzite KR guide sets to compare to, but I think the Minima4 sets will be lighter.
16M Chrome set = 3 gm
20M Titanium TiBlack set = 3gm
20M chrome set = 4 gm.
My scale weighs to the nearest gram.
Hope this is of some help.
Norm

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 25, 2018 10:13PM

I often use the Fuji NPS seat and bore "windows" or holes along each side to reduce weight. Using just two short foam arbors, it is extremely light and very comfortable. The very lightest? Not quite but it is extremely light.

Date: October 26, 2018 11:58AM

By the way Mo:

I generally don't worry much about the weight of the reel seat since many rods actually balance better with a bit more weight near the butt of the rod.

Also, I see where folks will work very hard at reducing ever portion of gram that they can use to save weight on the rod and then put a 12 oz reel on the rod.

Good luck

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: October 26, 2018 04:12PM

Thank you everyone.

Roger, thanks for the 'tongue firmly planted in cheek' humor. Given yoru redommendation, I might as well just wind some line around an empty liter coke bottle. As to weight, I am one of thoese who ut every hundred of an ounce if I can as long as it does not violate ergonomics...:) it is an aesthetic effort for me. And the reel I use is sub 5.4 ounce. There's now one that is 4.9 ounce on the market...:)

Norman, thanks for the weight measure. The Minimas are indeed king of the 'reducing weight for the buck' hill.

Robert, you are full of surprises in bringing in stuff that is not run of the mill here in the US. Do you have a picture of the reel seat by itself? Your picture is fascinating but they include the carbon handle which presumably is not part of the 1/2 oz weight rating.

Thanks again everyone. Now, to dump my rig and go fish with a coke bottle, line and hook....a mere 2 ounce rig...:)

Posted by: Robert Drabik (---.ostnet.pl)
Date: October 27, 2018 03:37AM

Mo, you must see this:
[youtu.be]
Should help.
And this:
[jerkbait.pl]

[youtu.be]

Distributor of luxury Japanese blanks, FUJI guides.
SUZUKI BLANKS, Carefully made in Tokyo, Japan

[brcrods.com]

We also provide services to wholesale customers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2018 11:59AM by Robert Drabik.

Date: October 27, 2018 08:51AM

Mo,
Remember, there are thousands or perhaps millions of fish that are caught every year with no rod and with no reel. Just a line with a weight and a hook on the end and fish are caught and landed.

Good luck.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 28, 2018 10:13AM

Regarding Robert's second video, with the two guys talking about the seat- that sure looks like a 2 guide reduction train.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster