I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Steelhead Rod Recommendations
Posted by: Samuel Church (88.201.0.---)
Date: October 24, 2018 11:27AM

Hello all,

I am looking for some recommendations on either a Lamiglas or NFC rod blank for steelhead. I fish the Clearwater, Snake, and Salmon river out of Lewiston Idaho. I fish mainly from the bank with bobber and jig or beads. I know I want a 10’ two piece rod. Just don’t know which one. As for the rest of the parts for the rod I’m all ears. This will be my second rod but I’m up for the challenge.

Thank you all.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Steelhead Rod Recommendations
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: October 24, 2018 02:23PM

My NFC 1002-2 (HM) build was 4.3 oz., it's not just a float rod, it does much more.

Date: October 24, 2018 03:33PM

I have read numerous times about that blank so that’s what I’m going to go with. Thank you for the recommendation. Now does anyone have a recommendation for the guides? I’m looking at the Fuji K series but honestly don’t know what I should be looking for.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 24, 2018 07:01PM

The most important thing needed to recommend guides is the line that you will be using. Are you planning to pass knots? Then plan for them. I don't think max sensitivity is needed, so better to go bigger, like 5 or 5.5, or even 6.rather than smaller. Ice a possibility, then certainly go with 5.5 or 6.. Regarding other aspects, I think for a rod dealing with big, powerful, fish, a foregrip is recommended, about 3 inches (?). If rod holders are planned, be sure your design is consistent with them. Cold weather? Probably not carbon fiber grips or metal reel seats. Winn grips may make a lot of sense.

If going Fuji KLH, consult their catalog on guide train recommendations for the KLH.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: October 24, 2018 09:28PM

I used Recoil guides, super light and they work great in icy conditions, they use them on ice fishing rods.

Date: October 25, 2018 02:52PM

Where do I find the guid train recommendations for the Fuji KL-H? I like the look of them. Yes I will be passing knots and will be running braided line. I was planning on a cork handle.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: October 25, 2018 03:35PM

It’s at Anglers Resource. [anglersresource.net]
Norm

Date: October 25, 2018 04:15PM

Thank you Norm. Just was looking at it. For the KL-H here is what it recommends- Stripper 16H, 2nd guide 8H, 3rd guide 6L. There is nothing after that. Would you continue to use the 6L for the remainder of the rod? Or would I size down more. I plan to use 10-20 lbs braided line and will be float fishing so the float knot/keeper will be going through the guides. Thank you all again for the help.

Date: October 25, 2018 09:39PM

What size reel and braid are you using? If a 3000 or larger reel with 15 to 30 lb braid might want to use a KL20H, KL10H, KL5.5M (or KL6M) reduction train with KB/KT runners in the size of your choice. Another option would be KL20H, KL10H, KL7M, and KL5.5L (or KL6L) followed by the KB/KT runner of your choice. The KL5.5L (or KL6L) guide in the second option would be used as your choke guide. For both options I would most likely use size 5 KB/KT runners. The number of runners is dependent on how the the rod bends under a load, and you would probabaly need from 7 to 10 runners, for 10 to 13 guides total. The only difference between KB and KT runners is that the KB has a wider and longer foot and are designed to be used in the mid (belly) section of the rod to help prevent pull out. The KT runners are designed to be use in the tip section of the rod where the pull out forces are less. Use at least 2 KB guides. Hope this helps.
Norm
PS. using a slip float knot, could use larger runners such as a 5.5 or 6.
Norm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2018 09:58PM by Norman Miller.

Date: October 25, 2018 10:26PM

Thank you for the information Norman. Looking forward to putting it together.

Date: October 26, 2018 07:51AM

I will be using a 3000 reel and 15-30 braided line. My next question is what material should I be going with? Titanium Torzite, or something else. I see that the guides can be as much as the rod. I know I get what I pay for but when is it too much. This will be a steelhead rod for use during 50 degree to below freezing weather. Does temperature play a factor for selection? Looking on the NFC website it recommends 9 guides. Should I be going with what they recommend? If I add more will that void any type of warranty?

Again thank you all for the information. With each piece I am learning more.

Date: October 26, 2018 09:51AM

I ordered the NFC 1002-2 HM.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 26, 2018 12:00PM

Samual,
Pac Bay minima guides for 89 cents each work very well for such a rod. With no rings, they are very tough and will be very resistant to the formation of ice during cold weather fishing.

Good luck

Date: October 26, 2018 01:09PM

For Fuji KR guides use the corrosion control frames (BC or CC) with either the Fazlite or Alconite ring. Both are excellent; very durable, and corrosion resistant. A set of Alconite guides will be about $30 and the Fazlite guides will be less. The Torzite and Sic guides are overkill for what you want, very expensive for a very small, if any, increase in performance. If you want a lighter and less expensive KR-like guide set use Minima4 guides as Roger suggests. Use the Minima4 Match (M) guides for the reduction train coupled with Minima4 Fly (F) guides for runners. In your case 20M, 10M, and 6M for the reduction train and size 5 or 6 F guides as runners. These would be set up exactly the same way as the Fuji KR guides, since their heights are very similar to the Fuji guides. The entire set of chrome/chrome Minima guides will weigh much less than the KR guides, and the cost for a set will be around $15. They hold up very well, but I have recently started to use a Fuji LG tiptop of the apprioate size, just to make sure the tiptop will not groove.
Norm

Posted by: Jay McKnight (---.dhcp.mdsn.wi.charter.com)
Date: October 26, 2018 04:26PM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For Fuji KR guides use the corrosion control
> frames (BC or CC) with either the Fazlite or
> Alconite ring. Both are excellent; very durable,
> and corrosion resistant. A set of Alconite guides
> will be about $30 and the Fazlite guides will be
> less. The Torzite and Sic guides are overkill for
> what you want, very expensive for a very small, if
> any, increase in performance. If you want a
> lighter and less expensive KR-like guide set use
> Minima4 guides as Roger suggests. Use the Minima4
> Match (M) guides for the reduction train coupled
> with Minima4 Fly (F) guides for runners. In your
> case 20M, 10M, and 6M for the reduction train and
> size 5 or 6 F guides as runners. These would be
> set up exactly the same way as the Fuji KR guides,
> since their heights are very similar to the Fuji
> guides. The entire set of chrome/chrome Minima
> guides will weigh much less than the KR guides,
> and the cost for a set will be around $15. They
> hold up very well, but I have recently started to
> use a Fuji LG tiptop of the apprioate size, just
> to make sure the tiptop will not groove.
> Norm

I wouldn't say there's no performance gain with the sic's or torzite's, that would be false.

Date: October 26, 2018 07:20PM

Jay, I have used both Torzite and Sic KR guides, and compared then with Alconite KR guides. I will stick to my statement that Torzite and Sic guides are over kill in price for the type of fishing I do and most other freshwater and light salt water anglers do. If you are talking about lightness, yes Titanium frames are lighter than stainless and will not corrode, but titanium guides are more expensive and more brittle and easier to break. If you are talking about ceramic inserts, yes Sic is harder than both Torzite and Alconite, but the hardness of Torzite vs Alcolnite are very similar. Sic rings also disparate heat better than both Torzite and Alconite, but this is only a issue when you are fishing for large a powerful fish that pull line rapidly off the reel with great force generating heat. Sic is also heavier and more brittle than both Torzite and Alconite. Torzite is very strong and not very brittle and thus can be made very thin making it lighter with with a larger ID. You cannot cut or even scratch any of these guides with a hacksaw blade or metal file, so they are all very resistant to line grooving. As far as casting distance, there is very little noticeable difference between them. What is noticeable is price; A 9 guide size 20 KR set of Torzite guides will cost about $135, a set of Sic Titanium about $115, and BC Alconite about $30. Depends on what you call overkill, most of us will never notice or utilize any potential performance benefits offered by these higher end and higher priced ceramic guides over the more modestly priced Alconite or Fazlite guides. But then again it’s just my opinion, based on my experiences with all of them.
Norm

Posted by: Jay McKnight (---.dhcp.mdsn.wi.charter.com)
Date: October 27, 2018 07:11AM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jay, I have used both Torzite and Sic KR guides,
> and compared then with Alconite KR guides. I will
> stick to my statement that Torzite and Sic guides
> are over kill in price for the type of fishing I
> do and most other freshwater and light salt water
> anglers do. If you are talking about lightness,
> yes Titanium frames are lighter than stainless and
> will not corrode, but titanium guides are more
> expensive and more brittle and easier to break. If
> you are talking about ceramic inserts, yes Sic is
> harder than both Torzite and Alconite, but the
> hardness of Torzite vs Alcolnite are very similar.
> Sic rings also disparate heat better than both
> Torzite and Alconite, but this is only a issue
> when you are fishing for large a powerful fish
> that pull line rapidly off the reel with great
> force generating heat. Sic is also heavier and
> more brittle than both Torzite and Alconite.
> Torzite is very strong and not very brittle and
> thus can be made very thin making it lighter with
> with a larger ID. You cannot cut or even scratch
> any of these guides with a hacksaw blade or metal
> file, so they are all very resistant to line
> grooving. As far as casting distance, there is
> very little noticeable difference between them.
> What is noticeable is price; A 9 guide size 20 KR
> set of Torzite guides will cost about $135, a set
> of Sic Titanium about $115, and BC Alconite about
> $30. Depends on what you call overkill, most of us
> will never notice or utilize any potential
> performance benefits offered by these higher end
> and higher priced ceramic guides over the more
> modestly priced Alconite or Fazlite guides. But
> then again it’s just my opinion, based on my
> experiences with all of them.
> Norm

Norm, I can gree since I've built more rods with Alconites than all other guides combined. However, the O.P. has opted to build on an extremely light blank and it makes sense in my opinion to keep the tip weight down if possible. Also, Fuji's Gunmetal and Gunsmoke sic guides would run him somewhere in the neighborhood of $60, they're lighter than comparably sized Alconites and the i.d. of the sic rings are a bit larger than a comparable Alconite. Not to mention, they look really sharp. For an extra $30, I'd say that's money well spent.

Date: October 27, 2018 07:41AM

Thank you for the help guys. I’m gonna go with the sic guides. I’m now gonna start looking at all the parts for the handle. I’m trying to make this a complete custom rod. Not buy a kit for any part of it. I just want to learn how all these parts work together. I think doing this will help me in the long run.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster