I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rainshadow RX6 Series- Thoughts?
Posted by: Jason Le (---.s2979.c3-0.wtr-cbr1.sbo-wtr.ma.cable.rcncustomer.com)
Date: October 23, 2018 08:13PM

Was looking for some affordable blanks and came across the Rainshadow RX6 blanks.
I was wondering what your experiences were with these rods... has anyone tried them?
How do they flex? How is their tip recovery? Are they true to weight?
I heard that the 4-6wt blanks are considered a moderate fast as opposed to a moderate action, does anyone find that to be the case?
Also heard that the tip was rather noodly, at least on the 6wt. Can anyone confirm this?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2018 03:20AM by Jason Le.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rainshadow RX6 Series- Thoughts?
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 25, 2018 12:59PM

I have only built a 2 piece 3 wt in Rainshadow RX6, and would characterize it as a traditional action. It was to the high end of power as measured by CCS and the AA was not indicating mod-fast, in my subjective opinion. It needed a heavier line to cast right for me-the 3 wt line I had was too light for it. I don't have the specs handy, but can get them if needed.

I'm not expert enough to comment knowledgeably on tip recovery.

I should mention that while I have not made dozens of fly rods, every fly rod blank I have measured with CCS was at the high end for power for its nominal weight. Brands are Rainshadow RX8 and Eternity, St. Croix, and PacBay Quickline, all 4 piece exc the RX6.

I have recently built an RX6 travel spin rod and find it very satisfactory in all regards.

Re: Rainshadow RX6 Series- Thoughts?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: October 28, 2018 09:33AM

I have a 3 pc. 7 1/2 ft. 4 wt. in the old blue/green of about 15 years ago, I use a lot, true to power and fast actioned.
I have an older gentleman in his 80's who lake fishes, standing up, from a pram who has used it as his primary rod for that purpose all these years. He uses a 9 ft. Kennedy Fisher 5/6 when sitting, not because it's such a boomer, but because it keeps the fish pinned so well once hooked even when using chronomids.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster