I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New Guy Checking In
Posted by: Samuel Church (88.201.0.---)
Date: October 22, 2018 03:36PM

I have been watching and reading on this site for a while now and decided I should say hi. A little about me. I am in the Marine Corps currently deployed. Before I deployed I took the MudHole rod building class. That was a blast and a great group of guys to be around. I wanted to start building rods to give each one of my 5 children a gift made by me when the graduate high school. I have a fair amount of down time so I decided to order some kits and supplies and start making rods. I’m going to make my wife a 3 piece spinning travel rod with Tiffany blue and silver wrappings. I’m sure I will have questions along the way so please be patient when I ask a dumb question or have a hard time finding the information on the site. Thank you for your time and stay safe.

Sam

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Guy Checking In
Posted by: John Cates (---)
Date: October 22, 2018 04:55PM

Welcome and thank you for your service.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.clv.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 22, 2018 05:37PM

Cheer's and X2 for your service. And no Such Thing as a dumb question! Stay safe! and Tight Lines!!

Posted by: David Tenney (---)
Date: October 22, 2018 05:44PM

Welcome, thank you for your service, also new and learning something everyday.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---)
Date: October 23, 2018 11:34AM

Samuel,

Don't wait for your kids to graduate high school before building them a rod. I built my grand kids all rods and one was only five years old. A light panfish rod and he love it. Start them young and they will always have fishing to enjoy, regardless how old they are and they will remember Dad taught me this!

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Samuel Church (88.201.0.---)
Date: October 23, 2018 11:49AM

Don,

I couldn’t agree with you more. That is a great idea. I can still make them a rod for graduation as well. Thanks for the input.

Sam

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: October 23, 2018 05:41PM

Semper Fidelis brother!! And welcome to the addiction. They are never too young I have been building for my son since he was 2. He will be 10 in November. The only dumb question was the one that wasn’t asked!

Tom (GySgt USMC Ret)

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.61.90.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: October 24, 2018 09:33AM

I started much the same way, read a book while stationed in Germany and bought all the components from a mail order company. Yes, I"m that old. Like everyone here says, don't wait for them to graduate. I just took my grandson fishing yesterday and watched him catch a bunch of panfish on a rod I built for him. He's almost 5 but he loved it...and so do I. Email if you have any questions as I'm retired now and have an abundance of down time as long as my wife doesn't give me a honey-do list. Thanks for being on that wall Marine.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster