I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank Recommendations
Posted by: Robert Ford (---)
Date: October 21, 2018 11:15AM

Hi all. I'm about to build a rod for throwing jerkbaits and lightweight topwater lures ,preferably
in the 3/8-1 oz size. This will be used in freshwater in the delta,San Luis reservoir,and the Sacramento
River in CA. Preferably in the 7 and a half foot range would be ideal. I don't want the rod to be
too heavy,maybe a fast action with a bit of tip? Just seeing what the experts have to say.
Thanks I love this site you all have helped me with my rod building immensely. Most of the Stripers
I catch are under 10 pounds btw,but there are some monsters in San Luis.

Robert Ford

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank Recommendations
Date: October 21, 2018 11:42AM

I should have specified this will be a spinning rod. I tend to use mono.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: October 21, 2018 05:06PM

I would go with the blank from a well-known manufacturer with the best price and the best looks. I know I could not distinguish between spin rods blanks from reputable manufacturers in a double-blind casting test, although others may have no trouble doing so. I might be able to do better picking out fly rod blanks.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 21, 2018 06:26PM

Since you'll get some cushion from the mono I'd look for a blank of the length you want with fast action and a lure rating that fits what you want to throw (in order for it to load properly). Am Tac Bushidos are excellent blanks at a good price, as are Rainshadow Revelations. I also just got a very good review of the Liberty blanks from GitBitOutdoors.com from a builder friend. They also have a reasonable price point, and made in USA.

You have to reconcile your desire for the rod to be "not too heavy," with the need for longest casts. Light would lead to a 7 footer, long cast to a 7-6. Take a look at the MagBass blanks from the brands I mentioned.

What I would do is change to braid, possibly go with a moderate-fast action .

This Revelation seems like a good fit: REVCB76MH-SB Large crankbaits & topwaters 7'6" 10-20 3/8-1 0.470 5.5 M-Fast MH 2.3oz $66.85 I would expect you could build this into a 4 - 5 oz rod. The lightest grips would probably be natural cork or Winn grips.

Maybe this Bushido
CB72/10-20 Bushido 7'2" Popping/Crankbait 10-20 lb.1 piece 7'2" 10-20 lb. 1/2 - 1 1/4 oz. .501" 5.5 1.98 oz. Mod-Fast Med-Heavy $76 at Mudhole

If you change to braid you will very easily add much distance, improved hook set, better feel on aggressive hits, and braid will allow a lighter guide train. You could easily use 20 pound braid. No way you will get good casting with 20 mono on a spin rod. 20 pound Hitena braid will cast like 4-6 pound mono. Don't worry about the cost-braid lasts for years.

Date: October 21, 2018 07:23PM

Thank you I have been looking into the Revelation blanks. I am not opposed to braid and if there are
bigger fish around either and I really like Utmost Enterprises so I will have to holler at them and check it out.
Heard a lot of good things about Bushido. I have used and liked Batson though so I'll have to do some
research.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---)
Date: October 22, 2018 01:05PM

Utmost is extremely responsive and ship fast and only charge direct costs on the shipping. 'Could ask for better service!

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster