I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Work area setup for beginner
Posted by: David Tenney (---)
Date: October 20, 2018 06:59PM

Any tips on area setup especially for wrapping? I am not sure if I need a table to sit at or an extended shelf 6-8’ long to stand in front of. Maybe a few pics and all tips welcome.

Thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Work area setup for beginner
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: October 20, 2018 07:29PM

think of money spent go the cheapest way an if you don't like then up grade , it all depends on how much you want to spend , an how much room you have for your work space an $$ you want to spend ,
an how many rods you plan to do in a year ,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 20, 2018 08:10PM

Take a look at the "equipment and tools" category in the "Photos" section above, lots of examples.

Date: October 20, 2018 08:18PM

Ok thanks. Didn’t know that was there.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 20, 2018 09:47PM

David,
A table or a couple of folding steel legged - plastic topped tables will do the job nicely.

When you don't want the area up, just fold up the tables and store them away.

Some folks prefer to stand while working but I would rather sit. I have a back that is not stellar and I can not stand for long periods of time.

For example:

[www.menards.com]

Posted by: Sam Folds III (---)
Date: October 20, 2018 11:58PM

whether you decide to sit or stand, the #1 thing you need in my opinion is good lighting.

Posted by: Jay McKnight (---.dhcp.mdsn.wi.charter.com)
Date: October 21, 2018 08:31AM

How good is your eyesight? Me personally, I need to creep right up within about 10" in order to see well enough to wrap. I also like resting my forearms on the edge of my table. Basically, I have to sit down.

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: October 21, 2018 09:47AM

Cardboard box with a couple of V cuts on the end, heavy book, shot glass, box on your lap sitting at the kitchen table. Used ball point pen minus the refill as a packing tool. Take the KISS approach at first.

Ray Zarychta
Glastonbury, CT

Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: October 21, 2018 12:50PM

Personally, I like to sit while wrapping, I just find it more comfortable. I purchased an 8' fold up plastic table from Wal-Mart. I needed the length for my power wrapper, and it gives me plenty of room so that my building supplies aren't all cluttered together. I use a small office chair and just roll down the length as I work.

I couldn't agree more with what Sam said about good lighting. It is crucial that you're able to see and see well. If not it's just going to add frustration to something that can already be frustrating when you're new at it.

Date: October 21, 2018 02:08PM

Ok thanks to everyone, I will see what I can find for tables and begin setting everything up.

Posted by: herb canter (---.dsl.atmc.net)
Date: October 22, 2018 05:04AM

Set up in as dust free an area as possible .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster