I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New guy seeking foam core grip making info
Posted by: AARON SCHILLER (---)
Date: October 20, 2018 11:56AM

Hello all. I recently discovered this forum and the wealth of knowledge that is available here. I am specifically interested in finding more information on building the foam core grips with carbon fiber sleeves and it appears this is the place to look. I have read some recent discussions on the topic and they often reference past issues of Rod Maker magazine. I am hoping that there is someone that could help me find what issues or threads on this forum that have information on this technique so that I can access them. Also is there some sort of membership that would allow me to access all of the older issues instead of paying for each one individually?

Thanks in advance!

Aaron

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2018 11:56AM by AARON SCHILLER.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New guy seeking foam core grip making info
Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.subs.proxad.net)
Date: October 20, 2018 12:30PM

[www.rodmakermagazine.com]

Or if you want all [www.rodmakermagazine.com] and [www.rodmakermagazine.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2018 12:33PM by Eric MONTACLAIR.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: October 20, 2018 01:25PM

The back issues of the mag are listed on the site on the left near the bottom with pretty decent descriptions of content.

Posted by: AARON SCHILLER (---)
Date: October 20, 2018 01:27PM

Purchased, thank you!

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.clv.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 20, 2018 01:35PM

[www.rodmakermagazine.com] ---------- And lots of reading here ------ [www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2018 01:41PM by Jay Dubay.

Posted by: Sandy Harris (---.dyn6.twc.com)
Date: October 20, 2018 06:22PM

While I have made a fair number of foam core/carbon fiber sleeve grips I recently ordered some "on sale" cork grips and used them instead of shaping a foam core. The cost was similar to purchasing foam core and they already had the basic shape and dimensions I needed. I roughed them up a bit, then applied a thin layer of epoxy, let it dry and smoothed it with fine grit sand paper.. I then did a "wet" layer of epoxy and applied the carbon fiber sleeve as if I were using a foam core. It remains to be seen how it will hold up vs the foam core.

Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: October 20, 2018 08:06PM

Another good source of info is YouTube. Just put in the words Composite Fiber Grip Seminar.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster