I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

1st coat of finish
Posted by: Keith Terlinden (156.142.3.---)
Date: October 18, 2018 12:25PM

Is there any other options to use for the first coat of glue on threads besides a two part epoxy? Maybe something that dries faster and will hold the guides in place before the second coat is applied?

Thank you!
Keith

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 1st coat of finish
Posted by: John Cates (---)
Date: October 18, 2018 12:42PM

We make a color preserver that many have used for years. It is important to get a good saturating coat. Flex Coat CP is one part, water based and dries in a couple hours.

Here is a link:
[flexcoat.com]

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 18, 2018 01:02PM

Keith,
Out of curiosity, why do you want something different?

Be safe

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: October 18, 2018 01:02PM

Keith
I am not sure what is your question. When the guides are properly wrapped they do not require any first coat of "glue" before the final finish.

When the guides are in place and wrapped only one coat of thread finish is usually sufficient. These are generally two part epoxy formulations. A second coat is necessary only if the first coat is too thin or applied too thin to encapsulate the wrap.

There are other finishes, for instance some fly rod restorations may require Varnish (one part) as the the thread finish.

I have even heard instances where clear nail polish was used as a finish.

My advise is to practice on some scrap rods and choose what is best for you.

Have fun

John

Posted by: Keith Terlinden (156.142.3.---)
Date: October 18, 2018 01:47PM

To answer the question why.

I have entertained the thought of adding another person to my rod building business to help with some of the demand but I still want to have control over the final product. I am thinking about having somebody help with tying and if possible add a coat of finish that would still allow me to do the final build. 2 part epoxy is too permanent and would cause a mess if I had to make a correction.

Really just exploring possibilities before I move forward.

Thank you!
Keith

Posted by: Paul Darby (---)
Date: October 18, 2018 04:02PM

My only thought to you, never hire anyone with less talent than you have . That isn't to say less knowledge in your field, but less natural skill. There is a difference between an assembler and a craftsmen. Ive hired both over the years but never made the mistake of confusing one for the other and been pleased and amazed by both. Good luck

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 18, 2018 05:20PM

x10 on Paul's comments.

In the case of rod building, don't have someone do a job that they can not do perfectly.

If they can't do the job perfectly, have them practice some more until they can do the job perfectly.

It is never a good outcome to have to redo things when it comes to rod building. Yes, it can be done, but often at the expense of the rod blank - finish or in total.

Good luck

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr01.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 18, 2018 06:13PM

Responding to what you are trying to accomplish, the flex coat color preservative probably will meet your needs. It will sort of "set" the guides allowing you to inspect, but is not hard to remove. Guides treated with it will not move unless a significant force is applied.

The only issue I see, and I don't think it significant to your goal, is that it will preserve the color of the thread almost perfectly. If you're trying for a look where the untreated thread changes color due to the epoxy then it won't allow that.

Posted by: Bert Dluhy (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 19, 2018 10:52AM

I have used permagloss as a first (2nd or 3rd coat) and then put epoxy on top (lost patients building up 10+ coats) to get the look we all know

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster