I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Trim band help
Posted by: Dan Rees (---.181.9.51.dyn.plus.net)
Date: October 16, 2018 10:34AM

Hi could anyone give me some guidance on doing a tri colour trim band on a ferrule? I’m trying to replicate what I see on my Sage rods but I just can’t get it. Seems to me starting from the ferrule end they have aabout 5 wraps of standard thread, 5 wraps of metallic, 5 black, 5 metallic then back to the standard wrap color for the wrapping of the guide foot. My guide is on a ferrule if that helps.

Any tutorials around showing the technique?

Cheers
Dan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trim band help
Posted by: Paul Wood (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: October 16, 2018 02:15PM

Search for trim bands on YouTube...several videos there.

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---)
Date: October 16, 2018 04:27PM

There is an article from Rodmaker magazine in the Library on this forum.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr01.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 17, 2018 05:21PM

A narrow trim wrap standing by itself, like the old bamboo fly rods, is something I could use some help on . The only way I know to do them is with a "nail knot," and that works well at 4 or 5 wraps, but is there a reliable way to make a two or three wrap free standing trim wrap?

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 17, 2018 06:43PM

Dan,
I cut a length of all of the trim band colors - about a foot or so.
I tape down all of the trim bands in place with narrow masking tape. To do the job more easily, I do the wrapping with the other section of blank installed, so that you are not working on the end of a blank.

Then, I will do the main wrap. Now, lift up the trim thread from the starting point as the main wrap and nip them all off close to the main wrap.
Then, very very carefully, pull each of the trim colors to be just under the main wrap.

Now, go ahead and do a couple of main wraps - with long spacing, just to get the main wraps out of the way. Then, take the first trim color and do that trim color. Then, while holding that trim color tight, use the next trim color to go over the main wrap thread, as well as the first trim thread. Now go to the next trim color and do the trim wraps for that color. Now, while holding that trim thread tight, go to the 3rd trim color and put on the wraps for that color. Now you have all of the trim wraps in place, and while holding the 3rd trim thread tight, back up your main wrap so that you can take a wrap of main thread over the 3rd wrap to hold it tight. Now lay in your pull thread and finish a few wraps of your main color, and then trim off the loose ends of the trim thread.
Finally complete the wraps of the main thread and pull the main thread back through with the pull loop to lock everything in solid.

By using this system, you have both ends of all of the trim threads, as well as the main thread securely locked in place by the main thread.

The typing takes longer to do than the wrapping.

P.s.
You are not using the conventional nail knot with its loose ends. You are basically doing a standard wrap, with each end locked under other wraps for each trim color.

Be safe

p.p.s.
I do all of my trim bands using this method, because I don't like to have a 2 or 3 trim band without a nice long tag end on each end of the trim band securely locked under main wraps.

Good luck

Posted by: Dan Rees (---.19.6.51.dyn.plus.net)
Date: October 25, 2018 07:07AM

Hi Roger, I thought I'd already replied to this last week but couldn't have hit send. Thank you very much for your detailed reply. Just what I was looking for and explained perfectly.

Cheers
Dan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster