I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

pull-thru loops
Posted by: David Nichols (---)
Date: October 15, 2018 10:30PM

Hi all, would like to know others ideas or what type of material you use for pull-thru loops for wraps ...I have used mono, unwaxed dental floss, and even wrapping thread itself - but I am always open to "new" methods and techniques

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: pull-thru loops
Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: October 15, 2018 10:53PM

I use 8 to 15 lb braided line. I use the stuff I would normally throw away when changing line on my reels. I like fluorescent yellow or chartreuse, because it makes the loops more visible.
Norm

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: October 15, 2018 11:06PM

I use the free samples from HITENA [ no the left ] there low LB test line is some of the thinnest you can find , if not the thinnest , clean it with a DNA bath before use , not sure on that they use on there line .
I use 4 lb test never have had it break on me , one of there free samples will last you an all your friends till you leave this life , then same ,idea as Norm Miller stated above , just free an thinner,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: October 15, 2018 11:11PM

Bill, I tried the Hitena braid sample for loops,the only problem was when I laid the loop down couldn’t find it again, it was so thin and colorless it was invisible.
Norm

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: October 15, 2018 11:50PM

Yet again, great replies from those-in-the-know. I have switched from D thread to 10lb braid, Power Pro if it matters, for my pull through loops. I spend a considerable amount of time on my wraps and the last thing wanted is for the pull through loop to break after an hour of wrapping and everything goes ”Boink”. Whatever is used for the pull through, cut off at least 2ft and position the end of the loop so it is not at the same point of actually pulling the wrap thread under each time. I use the same pull through for at least 20 wraps. While certain the pull through would last longer, I prefer to avoid the Boink!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: October 16, 2018 01:08AM

Norm: LOOPS , I had the same problem as not finding it , I make lots of them , over time I find a lot , not all , but most ,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: October 16, 2018 09:19AM

I use Stren green 10lb braid, color makes it easier to find when dropped. Always have a few loops made up "just in case"!

Ray Zarychta
Glastonbury, CT

Posted by: joseph karow (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: October 16, 2018 10:45AM

Same here 10lb braid with a little bead or plastic bread tied on so i can find them ..

Posted by: John Ricks (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: October 16, 2018 12:37PM

Each rod stand (there are 5 on my lathe) has a bent wire hook for hanging the loops. And when I tie a loop I put a small piece of masking tape on the tied end. So there is always a loop handy and a nearby place to hang the loop after pulling the thread under the wrap. I make 10 or so loops at a time, still sometimes misplace one: Lay it on the bench or the lathe bed and it is gone forever!!!

Posted by: Paul Darby (---)
Date: October 16, 2018 12:51PM

I'll stick with mono for the pull loop. I tried the braid, it just slowed me down, I didn't like the limp loop.

Posted by: Tom Harder (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 16, 2018 01:39PM

I'm with Paul...I got sick of the limp loops too. And it really does slow you down. At least it does for me.

Posted by: David Nichols (---)
Date: October 16, 2018 10:48PM

I have used the mono, but after about 3 pull-throughs, it takes on "a set" in the form of a kink - I was wanting to avoid this, in maybe the loop being of another material that I've not tried.....once the mono gets the "kink" set, it tends to make it a bit harder to pull up under the wraps - and no, my tension on them is not too tight-so, as my looking for something else.....I know that you guys here have dozens of ideas and methods. I thank you all that have responded so far, what a great group !

Thanks again

Date: October 17, 2018 12:00PM

Can't find your loops when you drop one, a simple piece of red yarn loop lock to the knot end solves that problem. flip the knot back over and sick the yarn thru pull the loop close and snip a small tag, Lay it in on the bench , drop it on the floor you'll spot that that red tag every time,

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 17, 2018 02:04PM

It's a shame that peopel are using the most expensive adn best braided line you can buy, for pull throughs. SMH. If anyone can't deal with teh limpness of raid, you're not using it properly. Use heavier braid, like 30-50#, make it really long, open the looop up, cut the thread and it will fall righ tinto the open loop. YOu never ever have to fiddle with teh tag end to fit it through the loop, just grab the tag and pull the loop - you can't do it faster than that. CAn't teach technique via typing though

Date: October 17, 2018 03:52PM

I have learned to to use the characteristics of mono and will pull from different points of the loop which causes the loop to deform and set slightly in a more open position. Easier to hit a square loop than a narrow slit shape or just slip in your loop and tug slightly on one side to distort the loop and cause it to open wider.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 17, 2018 03:56PM

with braid I have a 3" circle for the tag end to fall through. The problem with Mono is for beginners, they might use too heavy a # test, and when they pull through there is a void left by teh mono which causes the wraps to get loose, especially on thinner diameter blanks. I helped MH with 3 of their classes, and by far the biggest problem people were running into was losing tension on their wraps when the thread was pulled through using too thick mono, and poor technique (which is expected by people just starting)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2018 09:13PM by Billy Vivona.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 17, 2018 06:47PM

I use 10 lb high vis power pro braided line for pull loops. When I make the loop, I also incorporate a very high vis - bright pink, or bright red or orange bead. That way, when the pull thread gets dropped or misplaced, the bead makes the loop easy to see.

Also, the bead creates a nice handle for the pull loop and makes the work easy.

The 10 lb power pro is thinner than any of the common wrapping thread and thus makes easy work of pulling the thread through the wraps. Also, 10 lb power pro breaks at about 25 lbs, so the thread will break before the pull loop will break.

Good luck

Posted by: Seth Johnson (148.73.108.---)
Date: October 18, 2018 09:40AM

White 10 lb spider wire braid. I use it on my spinning rods, so I have a lot of it hanging around

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster