I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How many running guides to use?
Posted by: Scott Lawrence (118.210.206.---)
Date: October 13, 2018 08:37AM

Hi Guy's,
On a ultralight kr build I have 66.5cm between the choke and the tip and I am not sure how many running guides to use.At the moment I have 6 but think that I could get away with 5. Not sure weather I should use the 6 for better loading or just 5 to save a micro bit of weight.Probably just over thinking it all. My numbers of 5 & 6 include the choke but not the tip.Size 5 guides on a 6'7"" rod. What would you recommend.
Tight lines Scott

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How many running guides to use?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 13, 2018 09:59AM

Tape it up and try both. There is no reason to use more if less will work as well.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 13, 2018 01:01PM

While you're at it, try 4.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: October 13, 2018 04:37PM

For me a 6 1/2’ is ‘tweener’, sometimes 5 runners sometimes 6. It will not make a big difference in either casting or fish handling ability. Since it is an ultra light I might go with 6 just to spread the load out a little more evenly. In my opinion it is your choice. As suggested by Tom mock up the rod and test both or as Michael suggests all three. The only thing is to make sure you get a nice looking progression in you guide spacing. I do not like the looks of runners spaced further apart than the reduction guides. You can certainly move the choke in or out some to get a spacing that not only looks good but also performs well. There is a lot of flexibility in guide placement layouts.
Norm

Posted by: herb canter (---.dsl.atmc.net)
Date: October 13, 2018 11:53PM

How many running guides to use on lightweight builds has been debated quite a bit , i'm one of those that believe you should only use enough runners as necessary but others claim if you don't use the amount of runners the KR software recommends than it's not a properly built KR rod. The below post is interesting , i myself think 10 guides on a 7 foot rod is nuts ( Unless it's exceptionally moderate) and if Fuji claimed otherwise i would still think it's nuts .

" I have a 7ft. KR rod sitting in the corner because the owner wants 2 more just like it. It has 10 guides on it. 3 reduction and 7 runners. I didn't put them on there cause I like wrapping guides "

Posted by: Scott Lawrence (118.210.206.---)
Date: October 14, 2018 04:13PM

Thanks Guy's,
I did try 4,5,&6 and in the end Used 6 runners. It was either have just over 4inch spaceing or just over 5 inch spacing. Now this was my very first rod that I have wrapped guides on. It is my sons rod that the guides started to break for some reason. He has a identical rod that the guides are breaking on as well and I plan to put new guides on it using a NGC type layout.The guide wraps and finish have turned out much better than expected for my fist go at it.Also over the weekend I started the 15kg standup rod and it now has a nylon slick butt,reel seat and foregrip glued up.Used drywall arbors. Now that was a humbling experience. Thank god my wife was home to help my because I found that I needed four hands at once. Thank you to everyone that has provided help to any posts I have put up.
Tight lines Scott ????

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 14, 2018 09:11PM

In a word:

The fewest possible and still have perfect rod performance.

Extra guides add weight and cause performance loss.

Good luck

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster