I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

DC motor conversion
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 08, 2018 08:32PM

A picture of a DC motor power wrapper conversion.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: DC motor conversion
Posted by: John Cates (---)
Date: October 08, 2018 10:27PM

Nice, Roger! Looks clean.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Scott Lawrence (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: October 09, 2018 03:29PM

Hi Roger,
Nice work.Any info on the headstock or other components be great.Would like to do similar someday. What to use for headstock and foot pedal has me stumped. When I made my variable speed drier some of your posts helped immensely.
Scott.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 09, 2018 04:25PM

Scott,
A very good headstock and chuck is the headstock and chuck made by Taig.

[www.taigtools.com]

[www.taigtools.com] ----

These are the same items used on some of the excellent commercial power wrappers on the market.

The foot pedal that I use is from a WAH dunlop guitar amp pedal. The reason that I use this pedal is that it allows me to use a standard high quality potentiometer with a gear drive to allow for the full 270 degree potentiometer rotation necessary for 100% control of the DC motor speed controller.

Posted by: Jon Hood (---)
Date: October 09, 2018 06:33PM

Roger,

Looks GREAT !
Can’t wait to see it in action!

Jon Hood

Posted by: Dean Posekany (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: October 04, 2020 10:25PM

Hi Roger,
I've been pouring over the pages of the forum and found this old post and had a few questions if you're willing.

"The foot pedal that I use is from a WAH dunlop guitar amp pedal. The reason that I use this pedal is that it allows me to use a standard high quality potentiometer with a gear drive to allow for the full 270 degree potentiometer rotation necessary for 100% control of the DC motor speed controller."

I'm in the process building my first power wrapper. I'm using a 24V DC, 180 rpm gearmotor. I have a cheap Amazon speed controller that does a pretty decent job of handling the variable speed requirements and a reversing switch. Where I'm scratching my head is with the foot pedal control. In the post you mention the WAH pedal and I have a few questions.

First, I've never physically seen a WAH pedal, but I think I generally understand how they work. Are you gutting the pedal and just using the menchanical pedal and adding your own pot, or are you using the pot function of the pedal?

Second, are you feeding the pedal output into your speed controller and bypassing the controller's pot to allow foot operated speed control?
Any help or direction you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dean

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster