I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Repair Broken Sections
Posted by: Tim Brown (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: October 08, 2018 07:30PM

I broke 2 sections on a 6pc 5wt rod. Can these be repaired? Anyone know someone that can do the repair?

Picture of Broken pieces at this link
[mega.nz]

Thank you

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Repair Broken Sections
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 08, 2018 08:54PM

it can be fixed but it will greatly affect the action and power of the rod
if it is a big $$ rod you might want to contact the company and see if the offer replacement sections for that model

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 08, 2018 09:06PM

Tim,
Depending on where the breaks occurred, the rod can sometimes be repaired correctly with very little change to the overall action of the rod.

There are links in the "library" outlining repair procedures.

In particular, if you can use thin wall fiberglass pieces of rod blanks you can often do the repair quickly and easily with little change in the action. The fiberglass is softer in action than a graphite over sleeve and have less effect on changing the performance of the rod blank.

I have repaired a lot of rods over the years, and some have had nearly no change, some have had a little change and for a couple, had a significant change in the action.
So, it mainly depends on where the break occurred.

Good luck

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 08, 2018 09:54PM

I agree with Roger, you can certainly insert a fiberglass or lower modulus graphite plug to join each of the two broken sections together. However, you will need a source of broken rod pieces with the proper taper in order to do the repair. If you are good at turning you may be able to turn a piece of solid fiber glass or graphite rod to the proper taper. The plug will need to span the break by at least 1.5" on each side. You will also need to do a thread wrap over the break for reinforcement. Such repairs can work very well and can give you back a serviceable rod. You can also check with the manufacturer and see what kind of warranty they offer. Many times they will replace the blank at a very discounted price.
Norm

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.218-62-69.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: October 08, 2018 11:03PM

I honestly can't see fixing that. Just get a new rod. Any fix will not be lasting and satisfactory.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 08, 2018 11:20PM

Can honestly say I have repaired many many broken rods with internal plugs that are still in use after many many yrs. As long as you get a nice smooth curve under flex they will perform well and last for a long time. I think Roger will agree with this. If you have any concerns about repairing a rod then put it in your broken rod stash, and do as I suggested and check the warranty policy of the manufacturer. If they don't replace it for a nominal fee, most will give a highly discounted price on a new blank. The worst they can say is no. So it's worth a try.
Norm

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 09, 2018 01:15AM

you can do what ever you want but if the blanks are fractured and the breaks are not clean breaks you will spend a lot of time fixing something that will eventually fail again
I have to take Drew's side
Even though Rodger and Norm have done repairs that did last by doing that you put a flat spot in the blank and to say that it wouldn't affect the rod just isn't correct any type of ferrule does create a flat spot as it doesn't flex like the rest of the blank

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 09, 2018 01:24AM

A six piece rod would be much easier to repair than a one or two piece rod. Less guides to remove. Possibly none. If you want that rod repaired please email me.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2018 01:36AM by Dennis Danku.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 09, 2018 10:26AM

Matthew,
After you have repaired a bunch of rods you can generally do the complete repair minus the thread wraps at the end of the repair blanks and finish application in about 30 minutes.

If you have pieces of blank on hand, it is a pretty simple thing to do. I use my caliper to determine the necessary size, take blank pieces of the appropriate size, chop to length and after checking the fit on the inside and outside of the blank, mix up a batch of 5 minute epoxy and glue it up.

Then, take another 5 minutes to wrap the ends of the repair and apply thread finish.

Good luck

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: October 09, 2018 12:15PM

Time is money look at all aspects of the repair an see what the cost is going to be , Norm & Roger do a lot of rods an they have the tools needed to do a good job , but as for me I don't have the tools or access to the tools .
so I would look at a new blank or rod depending where your rod came from , $$$ how much you want to spend on doing the repair ,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---)
Date: October 10, 2018 02:11PM

Not too many companies make 6pc blanks.
CTS makes a 6pc custom fly rod blank.
If it is a CTS blank - sections can be replaced at a moderate cost.
What length is the broken blank?
Herb
U.S. Distributor CTS Rod Blanks

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 10, 2018 05:55PM

I'm with Roger and Norm. Repairs can be done, not that hard, actions are not much affected if done right. But if I had broken a cheap rod I'd just replace it and be done with it. Use the old one for repairs on your next break. (Yes, glass is ideal, but graphite works pretty well too)

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---)
Date: October 11, 2018 12:30PM

Sorry to be a contrarian - but - anyone who truly enjoys a fine fly rod, and its performance - will not be happy with a repair. You can't just insert a inner, or outer, sleeve of any wall thickness capable of holding the 2 sections together without creating flat spots.
Herb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster