I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Broke tip off
Posted by: Bruce Phillips (---)
Date: October 07, 2018 02:17PM

I have a MHX blank that is 8 foot long medium heavy fast action and i broke 5 inches off the tip. Just wondering how bad this will effect the rod action and i guess it may change from a MH fastion to a Heavy xtra fast tip then..... i admit that i broke the rod as i got it pinched between boat and stump while trying to get my crank bait back....thanks...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Broke tip off
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 07, 2018 02:44PM

Bruce,
Since you broke off 5 inches - which effectively ruins the rod except to use as a pool Cue, simply repair the rod.

The critical distance is about the first 2 or 3 inches. So, just use an inner plug and outer sleeve to repair the rod -- per the information in the library, and you will be good to go.

Good luck

Date: October 07, 2018 03:34PM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bruce,
> Since you broke off 5 inches - which effectively
> ruins the rod except to use as a pool Cue, simply
> repair the rod.
>
> The critical distance is about the first 2 or 3
> inches. So, just use an inner plug and outer
> sleeve to repair the rod -- per the information in
> the library, and you will be good to go.
>
> Good luck

Are you referring to this article ? It's 4 inches my mistake..but would have no idea how to make a plug the size of the inside part of rod, looks to be approximately .040 hole inside rod.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 07, 2018 06:20PM

Bruce,
Go pick up a few broken rods at a charity box or good well for a few pennies.

Then, select the appropriate part of a blank that will fit inside the two pieces of the broken rod.

Then, select the larger appropriate part of a blank that will act as an over sleeve.

I normally use an inner sleeve that will overlap the break by 2 inches. Also, I use an outer sleeve by 2 inches as well.

It is nice if you can use fiberglass blanks for this purpose because fiberglass tends to be a bit softer and have a bit more "give" than a graphite blank and not make the repaired spot quite so stiff.

Good luck

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 07, 2018 06:29PM

I respectfully believe an inner sleeve is not necessary for a break at this location. Read the Library article on rod repair and use the over sleeve and it should be good to go. Using an inner sleeve , if unnecessary for good structure, will only slow the action down due to the excess weight. I agree that about 2 inches of overlap is about right. No more, for sure.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 07, 2018 06:36PM

Michael,
Could be.

However, I prefer to use the inner sleeve, just to insure that the integrity of the blank is not compromised.
Sometimes in a break there is some blank crushing. I try not to ever trim a break. I would rather reassemble the rod with the ragged edges of the break. If you can get the edges to all intersect, you have more gluing area, and by using an inner sleeve, if there is a hidden crack that runs up along the blank - the inner sleeve will reinforce the blank near the break.

Good luck

Date: October 07, 2018 06:58PM

I uploaded a picture of the break for reference to photo gallery but i don,t see it.

40 thousands hole is pretty small..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2018 07:08PM by Bruce Phillips.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: October 07, 2018 07:18PM

Put a tip-top on it and move on.

Date: October 08, 2018 09:24AM

Thanks all for replies..

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 08, 2018 01:17PM

Bruce,
Again, to protect the integrity of the blank, in case some crushing happened, I will put a piece of appropriately sized piano wire on the inside of the break to insure that there is no tip deformation, on very small tips that are too small for a piece of graphite or fiberglass.

Everyone is free to choose the method that works best for them.

By using both an inner sleeve as well as an outer sleeve, I have never had a repaired break fail at that location. Also, to minimize the weight and to minimize the change in blank action, I generally use my sander on the piece of over sleeving to thin the walls of the blank.

By thinning the walls, both the flex of the repair is increased and the weight of the repair is decreased.

Good luck

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster