I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide Selection for St Croix 4C78MHM Big Cranker Rod
Posted by: Rick Kowalski (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 07, 2018 12:36PM

Plan on building a St Croix 4C78MHM big cranker rod this winter. I intend to use Fuji SIC guides and would like to know
what would be the best type, and ring size setup for this rod. It is 7'8" in length and will be paired with a Revo Winch casting reel.
10-12# Floro- Carbon line and lures like the SPRO Rock Crawler & Rapala DT 20 Crank Baits up to 7/8 oz.
I looked at the Fuji SIC guide sets at Mudhole but maybe there is a better alternative.
Thanks
Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide Selection for St Croix 4C78MHM Big Cranker Rod
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: October 07, 2018 02:06PM

There's a Fuji video that shows their last guide development on Youtube, a great place to start.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: October 07, 2018 03:02PM

I would use the Fuji KR set up. If you are not going to use titanium guides, then I would use a KW10 stripper followed by a KW5.5 transition guide, and KB/KT runners size 5 or 4.5, your choice. If you are going to use titanium guides then use the RV6 followed by either a KW5.5 or KB5.5 as a transition guide, and the KB/KT runners in the size you want. Have built a number of deep cranking rods and these guides are great!
Norm

Posted by: Rick Kowalski (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 08, 2018 08:25AM

Thanks for the info guys !!!!!!
On another note.....I checked out the St Croix rod kits at Mud Hole, that Blank plus guides and handle kit will cost $247.00, I can buy the completed rod
for $270.00 built with the same components. Unless I use better guides and a Fancier Handle the 23 dollar savings by building it myself just doesn't seem justified.
I've built quite a few rods years ago where the savings over a store bought rod were quite substantial. Looks like things have changed in the last 15 years.
I know that you cannot compare a cheap Chinese built rod to a custom built rod using the same materials but companies like St Croix do build quality rods
with attention to detail, May have to rethink my crankbait rod build.Maybe consider another Rod Blank such as MHX or Rainshadow R7 blanks.They look like good quality
blanks and I think they would perform just as good as the St. Croix.
Any Opinions ??

Thanks
Rick

Posted by: Rodgeeks Rod Blanks (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 08, 2018 10:54AM

Hey Rick,

You should check out our blanks here at RODgeeks. We are partners with St. Croix, so you will be very pleased with the quality of our blanks. Because we sell factory direct, you'll like the prices also. Our Carbon 2 blanks are just like St. Croix blanks made with SCII material, and our Carbon 4 blanks are similar to their SCIV material. The only drawback is we don't have full kits, just blanks. But you can get any of our blanks in any of our 34 color options.

[rodgeeks.com]

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 08, 2018 12:05PM

The MHX crankbait rods are quite nice. I have made a number of them, and the people I have made them for love them. You can just about buy two MHX blanks for the price of one SCIV. Have not built a big crankbait rod with a RodGeeks blank, but have built on other RodGeeks blanks and they are very nice and also affordable.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster