I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Clean blank prior to wrapping guides?
Posted by: Scott Lawrence (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: October 06, 2018 11:06PM

Hi Guy's , should you clean a blank down with something prior to doing the guide wraps? If so what? Have done some searches but still at a loss as to what to do.Also if the blank has a curve should it be wrapped with curve up or down on a stand up rod? I just have to wait for the reel seat to come and can start my first build.
Tight lines Scott.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Clean blank prior to wrapping guides?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: October 07, 2018 04:37AM

Start with soap and water, rinse well. Wipe down with denatured alcohol if you suspect there could be waxes, etc. on the blank that could cause fish eyes, wash your hands before starting the build and before starting themwraps,, handle blank, thread, etc. as little as possible while building.
You want the bend pointing up, your guides weight and rigidity will help straighten the blank. You can site down the blank to find the high spot, or roll the blank on a flat surface and watch the tip, anything not straight up will also show a swing to either side, mark the position on a piece of tape put on the blank where it won't be covered up by components as you build the grips/reel seat up so you have a reference point to line things up on.
Good luck, and don't be afraid to continue asking questions.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 07, 2018 08:11AM

Curve up. Wipe every new blank with alcohol. That's really all you need to do. Handle components, of course, should see all mating surfaces (blank and interior of components) prepared to a water-break-free condition.

Posted by: Jay McKnight (---.dhcp.mdsn.wi.charter.com)
Date: October 07, 2018 09:58AM

Wal-Mart rubbing alcohol, I splurge and get the 91% stuff.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 07, 2018 12:39PM

I seem to remember recommendations here about not having an alcohol treatment the last treatment. In the interest of better epoxy adhesion. Please clarify.

Date: October 07, 2018 01:03PM

We're talking about a pre-clean on new rod blanks, not adhering components.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 07, 2018 01:09PM

Alcohol evaporates quickly, and is a very good solvent which will remove oils and other contaminants without affecting the blank. Wiping down a blank might not be necessary for most blanks, but since it doesn't hurt why not! It's just a form of insurance.
I also agree with the others; tip up for both spinning and casting rods. The weight of the guides will tend to straighten the rod and will also give you more dead lift power.
Norm

Posted by: Bruce Phillips (---)
Date: October 07, 2018 02:11PM

I use alcohol pads that diabetics use, you get like 50 pads for like a buck, just wipe blank down with a couple and throw the pads away.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 07, 2018 03:02PM

I have been burned a couple of times using an alcohol wipe as the final wipe.

Rather, I use Windex window cleaning fluid for the final wrap.

I don't know why the alcohol had the negative effect on a couple of rods, but I have never had a reaction using Windex as the final wipe down.

I realize that one loses a bit if one wraps with the curve down on a blank, but I tend to wrap with the curve down on a blank that has a significant blank. I just prefer the look of the curve down, rather than the curve up on a rod.

Take care

Date: October 07, 2018 04:30PM

Thanks guy's for the responses. Just want to clarify what you guy's are calling alcohol? Is it meaning Ispropyl Alcohol or DNA ( Methylated spirits) .What is the difference? Here in oz I can get 99.97 percent Isopropyl alcohol but it is 5 times the price as DNA (methylated spirits).
Thanks again as always.
Scott

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 07, 2018 05:02PM

Thanks, Tom. I don't disagree, just wanted clarification. I've never thought wiping a blank with alcohol before wrapping was a problem. I use 91% isopropyl, not very expensive, but have been told denatured is better, less "stuff" left over when it evaporates. Probably could use some clarification here, too.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 07, 2018 06:33PM

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: October 07, 2018 06:59PM

Denatured alcohol is ethanol that has a little methanol mixed with to make it poisonous, this avoids having to pay alcohol taxes on it. It is a two carbon primary alcohol that is produced by fermentation, it is a very good solvent for a lot of things. Isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol) is a 3 carbon secondary alcohol, it is cheaper to make than ethanol and is also a very good solvent. Both do very similar things. Sometimes isopropanol (aka rubbing alcohol) may have some additives for massaging. Both evaporate quickly and do not leave a residue behind.
Norm

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: October 07, 2018 07:24PM

U-40 brush cleaner. And yes we have been warned repeatedly about using solvents on blanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2018 07:27PM by Lynn Behler.

Date: October 07, 2018 10:57PM

The U-40 is a good product for the purpose.

Solvents are okay on blanks - the trouble is you rarely get pure solvents. Many contain fragrances, etc. That's where the trouble comes in.

Date: October 08, 2018 04:31AM

Thank you for you all taking the time out of your day to lend some advice.
Tight Lines Scott

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster