I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
How to hold single foot micro guides in place to wrap
Posted by: Paul Wray (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: October 05, 2018 09:25PM

Just as title says, how do you hold these little Mico, single foot guides in place to wrap? They are too small for tape, to unstable for hairbands. I am at wits end trying to wrap these little suckers. Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to hold single foot micro guides in place to wrap
Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.clv.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 05, 2018 09:53PM

Cut a small dia rubber band tye on blank in guide location, Slip guide under band and wrap, cut rubber band off, And Finnish wrap, Lots of people use small Dental bands and even elastic thread as well, But most of us have rubber bands around the house So I just use those. Have patience, And a Shot or 2 if required. LOL

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: October 05, 2018 09:57PM

Paul

You need a FlexCoat guide glue stick. Hold the guide with forceps or needle nose, heat the guide foot, slide the guide foot lightly across the white glue stick, and place the guide on the blank. The glue will hold the guide in place while you wrap.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 05, 2018 10:01PM

Start the wrap where you want it to end, guide not on blank. When you get where you want the tip of the foot to be, slip the micro under the wrap, way under the wrap so you;re wrapping almost at the ring. Then when you get about a sixteenth of an inch of wrap, carefully slide the guide into its final position, then continue the wrap. Takes some practice moving the guide, but for some guides it works better than anything that tries to hold the guide in position before starting wrapping.

Posted by: Scott Kelly (---)
Date: October 06, 2018 12:17AM

I have had very good results using a piece of 6# mono, tying a regular clinch knot and tightening it down on the guide.

Posted by: John Van Emmerik (8.14.148.---)
Date: October 06, 2018 01:22AM

1/8" wide pin stripe tape.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---)
Date: October 06, 2018 01:26AM

Go to a place that sells auto paints and buy a 2" roll of the green masking tape. Pretty much any tape will work but the green 3M tape will pull off clean and won't leave any of the adhesive on the blank. Cut off about 4" of it and stick the end edge on your wrapper. On the other end cut thin strips with scissors that are about half the width of the micro foot. They only need to be about 2" in length. You can cut them as thin as you want. Wrap the tape around the foot where the neck that goes to the ring is and try to keep it to about halfway on the foot. Wrap from the end of the foot and when you get to the tape peal it off and wrap the rest of the way. This is how I do it and I like it better than things you have to cut off, like runner bands and such.

Posted by: Don Mang (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 06, 2018 05:59AM

LOL I'm very new to building. I had problems taping large guides. I bought the little bands @ Mudhole, when I got them thought they wouldn't make it down the blank. Now I put 2 bands on the blank slide then down, place the foot under start wrapping and cut the bands off LOVE THEM.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 06, 2018 08:11AM

Taper the guide feet very fine. Start the wrap and after making three or four winds, slide the guide foot under the wrap about two or three of those winds. Align and wrap. No real need to tape them down.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: October 06, 2018 11:18AM

I use thick rubber band an cut holes in it , than cut the band up in small sections , rubber bands [ thick ones ] off web , hole cutter, a good leather punch, it comes with about 6 different hole sizes, so i can do large blanks to small ones ,
it works foe me ,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: October 06, 2018 11:18AM

SORRY hit the key X2

William Sidney
AK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2018 01:27PM by Bill Sidney.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: October 06, 2018 11:27AM

Go to a sewing supply store and ask for "elastic thread". It's thin, it's stretchy, you can wind it multiple times around a small guide. Then tie it in a square knot, and when you wrap far enough to secure your guide just touch the elastic thread with a razor and it will literally jump off the blank, leaving no residue.

Posted by: Jason Gofron (---)
Date: October 06, 2018 12:06PM

Tom what are you using to taper these small guides that leaves them smooth.

I do as mentioned earlier above of starting the wrap place the guide and establish a few wraps and pull the guide in place. However I find sometimes I pull the guide out as I pull it in place.

Posted by: Michael Martin (---.albq.qwest.net)
Date: October 06, 2018 12:15PM

This is the way I use,,,,really simple. Go to this You Tube... [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 06, 2018 05:02PM

A very simple solution is to use orthodontic bands.

You can check on - line to find appropriate bands.

[www.amazon.com]

Before starting a build, slip enough bands on the rod, plus a couple extra banks to hold all of your guides. You need to buy a couple of different sized bands to handle the size of the blank.

I also took a nipper, and used my sander on the nipper to give ne very sharp points on the ends of the cutter points. by having narrow sharp points - it is easily to cut the band as you wrap the guide.

Here are some examples of band nippers:

[www.google.com]

You can use a razor blade to cut the band, but with a nipper you don't run any risk to cut a piece of thread wrap.

Another nice thing about using bands is that it is easy to both slide a guide up and down the blank as needed and to also rotate the guide as needed before starting to wrap the guide.

Be safe

Date: October 06, 2018 05:54PM

I've tried everything mentioned above, and nothing works as well for me as doing what Tom and I suggested, or the video of wrapping from the ring to the foot. The latter is a little trickier than the former because you have to hold the guide on the blank as you start. Still easier than the other methods. While it's easy to say wrap that elastic thread around the guide, you still have to hold it in position while trying to get the square knot or any other knot tied, and that's not a piece of cake. You can tie the knot, then slide the guide foot under it, but then you're risking scratching the blank with the foot. I find that elastic thread hard to handle. The band idea is a pain because you need a number of band sizes from about 1/2 inch to about 3/64 in. Same for the tubing bands, and you have to cut them to width and slide a bunch of them into position, starting with the biggest going from tip to butt. So your temporary guides have to be cleaned off the blank before you start.

The only specific requirement to the two methods I advocate is that the foot has to be well tapered, which it already is with some brands of guides, and is easy to achieve in the other brands.

But the bottom line is that what works for you WORKS, and that is all that is required. Try them all and decide. If you're close, I have a bunch of elastic thread orthodonic bands, and tubing I can give you.

Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: October 07, 2018 11:34AM

I used to use elastic thread. It's easy to use, cheap and as Michael stated, you don't have to have a bunch of different sized bands on hand. With that said, I switched from using elastic thread to using the tubing that Mud Hole sells to hold guides on. Yeah I have to have all the different size tubing on hand, but you have to have a lot of things on hand when building a rod, so I don't really see it as a problem. The reason I switched to the tubing is because of how well it holds the guide in place, and having the guide held securely in place while test casting, is a big plus in my book. It also makes it easier (at least for me) to wrap the guide, especially right at the tip of the guide foot, with it held securely and tightly to the rod blank.

I don't know how everyone else does it, but once I have the guides on the rod and in their proper position, I don't remove them. I leave them secured to the rod with the tubing until I wrap them. Yeah I guess you could risk scratching the blank while slipping the guide's foot under the tubing, but ....... you suffer the same if not a greater risk of scratching the blank while sliding the guide foot under a wrap. Maybe my thread tension is too high, but I have tried slipping a guide foot under an already started wrap. A I'll say is, I'd rather not subject myself to that kind of frustration.

If you prep your guide feet well, and properly, you're not going to scratch the blank.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2018 11:35AM by David Baylor.

Date: October 07, 2018 12:04PM

David, you don't slide the foot under wraps, you wrap over the guide foot, then when you have it stable, you carefully slide the guide into its final position. Being able to leave the guides in position after test casting is certainly an advantage of the tubing bands, in my opinion. I also like to keep them in position until wrapping.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: October 07, 2018 12:56PM

What we do is tape the guides down in approximately the position we want.
Then after finishing layout and stress testing, make a note of spacing starting at the tip and between each guide.
Then take them all off, clean up the blank with Alcohol,
and then following the spacing layout, mark the spot and attach one guide at a time with FlexCoat Guide Glue.
That glue is soft enough to allow "tweaking" in alignment, also helps "cushion" the blank from the guide foot.
It works well for us, I simply hold the guide with a small, smooth jawed needle nose pliers,
heat it quickly and lightly, then dab a bit of guide glue to it, and place it at the mark already made.
Pretty fool-proof.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Paul Darby (---)
Date: October 07, 2018 03:33PM

Chuck up a role of masking tape and make your own pin striping tape at what ever widths you find useful.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster