I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy hardener yellowing
Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: October 02, 2018 08:47AM

Hello all.

I'm reasonably sure that most have had issues with their epoxy hardener yellowing in storage.
Is anyone aware of the manufacturers using an inert gas purge on their filling lines ?
The yellowing seems to start after first opening the container and exposing the product to air.
Prior to opening the product looks clear and the time on shelf may have been days, weeks, months or years.
If the product is affected by exposure to air, then a flush with gas prior to re-capping would address the issue.
Are epoxy hardeners brand specific to brand resins ?
Can any brand hardener be used with any brand resin ?
Perhaps the hardener should be sold separate from the resin in smaller container sizes ?
I realize this would curb sales of kits or possibly the kits should be available with 1 container of resin and 2 smaller containers of hardener ?
It's still only 10 cents of product in a 25 cent bottle selling for 10 dollars.
Maybe a little less profit or you can pass the extra cost along as a convenience feature.

Replies are appreciated as this is not my field of expertise.

Eugene Moore

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy hardener yellowing
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: October 02, 2018 10:51AM

Eugene

Don't know about inert gas but I doubt it. Hardener will yellow in unopened bottle.

Mixing brand A resin with brand B hardener is a bad idea. Unless you are a chemist with detail knowledge of each brand's chemistry you are the odds on favorite to make a mess.

Yes, purchasing smaller quantities does help, but good luck buying resin and hardener separately.

All spar varnish (long oil) and epoxy will eventually yellow on the rod - it's a rule in our UV world. Your yellowed hardener might not be so bad. Mix up a batch and try it. You just might find the mix is clear and cures clear.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 02, 2018 10:56AM

All hardeners will yellow or amber over time. And... UV inhibitors, which many hardeners contain, are themselves a bit yellow or amber.

Even new, mostly clear epoxy hardener will yellow or amber AFTER it has been mixed, applied and cured on the wraps. So starting with new, mostly clear hardener does not solve the yellow/amber problem. It's still going to happen, either in the bottle, or on the rod.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 02, 2018 11:25AM

The yellowing is caused by UV light, not exposure to air.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: October 04, 2018 09:51AM

So the answer is It's going to happen over time anyway. Therefore it's not important and "good enough" for the build of a custom rod.
I can't be responsible for the effects of time and use. I can be responsible for the quality of the finished rod I've built.
I'd prefer not to supply a built to order, brand new rod with already yellowed finish.
I'll just throw the finish away and buy "fresh" and pass the costs along. Will need to buy the smallest size available and wait for shipping.

Gene

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 04, 2018 11:22AM

Unless the hardener is extremely dark, when mixed with the resin and applied thinly on wraps, it is not noticeable. The exception would be on a white surface. If you examine older builds that have been exposed to sunlight, you will find it difficult to observe the yellowing.

To slow down the yellowing process, keep your supply in dark storage, mine is a drawer.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: October 04, 2018 11:34AM

In my opinion Thread Master yellows much less than any other epoxy finish I have used. If you want something that never yellows use Permagloss. Requires several coats to get a smooth finish, and it is very hard, but will never yellow.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster