I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Max line lb for 2 mm
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: October 02, 2018 03:19PM

I have been racking my brain over the last couple of days trying to remember what was the suggested max line size for 2mm guides. I had it written down but I’ll be darned if I can find it. I am thinking it was supposed to be 10lb for 2’s 15-17 on 2.5’s and pretty much up to 30 for 3’s. Obviously I am not trying to get a knot to go through these, just plain ole flouro.

Thanks
Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Max line lb for 2 mm
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 02, 2018 06:20PM

Is there a max when the line is so much smaller than the ID of the guide and you need no knot passage?

Date: October 02, 2018 06:36PM

If I recall correctly the M&M’s covered it but I haven’t been able to find it, yes I have searched

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: October 02, 2018 07:01PM

I assume your question refers exclusively to spinning lines? In addition to the line's O.D. I suspect the chemical composition of the line and even the brand of the line is worth consideration. Some line manufacturers claim theirs is "the strongest 8# line available". Could be because their #8 line tests to be a 12# line. For many, fishing is an escape from reality, and product advertising expedites their escape. I'm not trying to be negative - just realistic. Facts are hard things.

Posted by: Jean Scurtu (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: October 02, 2018 08:13PM

Ay line with diameter under 2 mm. !!!

Date: October 02, 2018 08:18PM

That would be an incorrect assumption. These would be used on casting rods. I completely understand if you were to use p-line as compared to Ande the diameters of their lines are worlds apart thus creating a large problem however eliminating the polar opposites one has a general average to work with. I will say that most flouro lines are rather close in diameter for a given pound test.

Date: October 02, 2018 08:18PM

That would be an incorrect assumption. These would be used on casting rods. I completely understand if you were to use p-line as compared to Ande the diameters of their lines are worlds apart thus creating a large problem however eliminating the polar opposites one has a general average to work with. I will say that most flouro lines are rather close in diameter for a given pound test.

Date: October 02, 2018 08:32PM

I assume your question refers exclusively to spinning lines? In addition to the line's O.D. I suspect the chemical composition of the line and even the brand of the line is worth consideration. Some line manufacturers claim theirs is "the strongest 8# line available". Could be because their #8 line tests to be a 12# line. For many, fishing is an escape from reality, and product advertising expedites their escape. I'm not trying to be negative - just realistic. Facts are hard things.

Date: October 02, 2018 08:47PM

Phil when’s the last time you built with 2mm’s? I fully understood your post the first time. Can you offer your “facts” of what will work and what won’t as learned from your overwhelming experience with micro bass rods or any rods with micros for that matter?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.40.---)
Date: October 03, 2018 11:40AM

Don't remember any max line sizes listed for running guides, but there was some agreement on max line size passing through different size tip tops.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 03, 2018 11:40AM

Thomas,
The simple thought is to build the rod that you have in mind with 2mm guides and then run a 100 different lines though the guides as you fish the rod hard for the next few days and generate a test report for all of us to enjoy.

I expect that you would find the process interesting as well.

Since you bring up the 2mm guides, it is apparent that you have throught about building a rod using the 2 mm guides. So, build it, fish with it for a few years and let us experience the results of your experiences.

Be safe

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 03, 2018 11:43AM

Thomas,
I only bring up the thought of your building the rod with the 2 mm guides and then using it with various lines, is that what works for one angler, may not work at all for a different angler.

Or, the test expectations of one user may be entirely different of another user of the same rod.

The important thing to you Thomas, is to find out what YOUR experiences are with the rod that you have in mind with the guide train that you have in mind.

Best of luck

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: October 03, 2018 12:00PM

Thomas

If you use a knot, the max line OD would be .014 in, .355 mm.

MY conservative estimate.

Have Fun

John

Date: October 03, 2018 02:12PM

Roger I am already ahead of you. I have multiple rods with 2’s. This past weekend I used one that has been built for years and my 12lb flouro was shredding when I hooked up with solid fish (3ld largemouth). I inspected the tip-top when I got home with a q tip and a piece of nylon stocking for any flaws. I found none. I stripped the 2’s and replaced with 2.5’s. Took rod out caught a 4lb largemouth with no shredding of line. I inspected each guide that came off under 5x magnification to no avail . This is a baitcasting rod as many of my other rods that have 2mm runners are. All other rods that I have with 2’s use 10lb test and under or 20lb braid with no issues. The shredding was the root cause of the question, still don’t have a concrete answer as to why it happened though.

Thank you to all who took the time to answer and provide insight.

Thanks,
Tom

Date: October 03, 2018 04:20PM

Tom: Recall of my "experiences" involve inexact memories and prejudices, not facts. Rather than pass on my prejudices I advise rod builders to seek out scientifically observed and measured records of the physical attributes and performance of lines, guides, and blanks. Records of such attributes are available. If not, perhaps rod builders should demand manufacturers and suppliers of rod components and lines supply concrete facts of the physical properties of their products.

Posted by: Jean Scurtu (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: October 03, 2018 08:17PM

Any line with diameter under 2 mm.

Date: October 03, 2018 09:25PM

Thank you Jean

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 04, 2018 01:37PM

Thomas,
If you are having an issue with line shredding, the most likely suspect is the tip top. The tip top is the part of the rod where the line has the greatest line angle going through it.

If you are having an issue with line shredding, go to a larger tip top, and make sure that you have an excellent ring on the inside of the tip top to eliminate any shredding of the line.

In the past, I have often put a different type tip top on a line and quite frequently, I use a tip top that is a little to a lot larger than the running guide.

Good luck

Take the tip top off of the rod and examine the inside of the tip top under a 500 power microscope to check for defects. Perhaps you will discover the source of the issue.

Date: October 05, 2018 11:31AM

Running a piece of a woman's [old] nylon stocking through the guide train used to be the acid test for burrs. I suspect dragging a piece of very soft synthetic yarn through the guides and tip-top would be even more revealing.

Date: October 05, 2018 12:20PM

Thank you for the suggestion Phil I will certainly give that a try

Tom

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster