I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pin Size air bubbles Why
Posted by: Jim Munday (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 29, 2018 07:38PM

Having trouble working site

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pin Size air bubbles Why
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: September 29, 2018 07:53PM

the reason that you have pin size air bubbles is that you have not removed the bubbles from the mix.

One thing that helps with this situation a great deal, is the use of gentle heat.

When "gentle heat" is carefully applied to the finish - being very careful to never over heat the finish, the slight added heat will remove all of the bubbles from the finish.

This procedure is used in factories and rod builders shops around the world to take care of the bubble issue.

It is simple effective, and as long as used correctly and never over heat the finish extremely effective.

Some folks use a candle, Some folks use a lighter. Some folks use a butane lighter. I happen to like using a heat gun very carefully.

I really never care much about the speed at which I mix finish, nor do I worry about the finish if it happens to have a lot of bubbles in the finish when I apply the finish. A bit of heat and "voila" the bubbles are gone and the finish is perfect.

Good luck

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 29, 2018 08:18PM

These can be the result of many things. Mixing too fast. Using heat (too much boils the finish and actually creates bubbles).

Mix more slowly or use a mechanical mixer to keep the problem from occuring in the first place.

Posted by: Linus Tay (---)
Date: September 29, 2018 09:38PM

I used to have that problem too. It was resolved when I stopped using brushes to stir/apply the finish. Apparently there's a lot of air trapped in the bristles of the brush and when you use it to stir the finish it gets transferred there. Now I use a spatula and bubbles are gone.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 30, 2018 12:49AM

First of all, never use a brush to stir the finish! There is a great article in the "library" above about applying a good finish.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster