I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Metallic thread fade?
Posted by: Scott Lawrence (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: September 28, 2018 05:39PM

I have just got most of the stuff to build my first rod and was planning to use metallic gold and light purple for trims.This morning I stumbled upon a post that was talking about metallics fading in colour.Just wondering what colours fade first and what causes the fading. Also does the use or non use of CP change anything.?
Tight lines Scott

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Metallic thread fade?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: September 28, 2018 06:21PM

I've no problems on my steelhead rods, but salmon rods and such that get left out in the sun much more often do fade over a considerable amount of exposure. It's the metallic foil in the thread that fades.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 28, 2018 07:02PM

Yes Metallic colors will fade. It is caused by UV light (sunlight), with blues being the worst. Because purple contains some blue it will fade, perhaps not as fast. CP does not help.

The fading is mostly apparent with salt water rods due to prolonged sun exposure.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: September 28, 2018 07:27PM

I have found purple to fade the worst for me. I have had builds with less than one season of fishing on them that had faded to almost completely to silver.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 28, 2018 08:58PM

purple is the worst for everyone - and it doesn't matter what brand you use, they all seem to fade.
Other colors - depends on the manufacturer.

Posted by: Scott Lawrence (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: September 28, 2018 09:07PM

Thanks guy's. Think I will leave the purple out then.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster