I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Granger Champion Quandary
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: September 24, 2018 12:38PM

Acquired over 10 years ago an aging Granger Champion, 9" 3 piece, 2 tips, which is now 70+ years old. The rod casts a 4 wt DT like a dream come true. Unfortunately the CP and wrap varnish are failing, the grip diameter is skinny for large hands, and the cork quality is only just OK (typical for a Champion. Other than the wrap failures, the blank, blank finish, reel seat, and ferrules are sound and attractive. Removing the old wraps and replacing together with new guides is relatively straight forward and easy. (Yes, i know Champions would have more snake guides if made today, but it casts so well as to invoke the if it ain't broke don't fix it rule.)

The questions are: (1) Should I replace grip (I'm leaning in that direction, and (2) if yes, what is the best way to remove the grip. Left to my own devices I'd use a high speed rotary tool to remove the bulk of the cork and clean up with a knife and sandpaper.

Your thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Granger Champion Quandary
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 24, 2018 02:14PM

100 % correct there (Yes, i know Champions would have more snake guides if made today, but it casts so well as to invoke the if it ain't broke don't fix it rule.)

as for the grip you can do it that way or chip it away, sand it down it might have been glued with hide or the old guidbrod rod cement clean it up with Da or any of the solvents like acetone do it out side though and add your new grip then go fish

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: September 24, 2018 09:21PM

I agree with Mathew, chip it off. If it is anything like the handles I did on some old bamboo rods It should come off quite easily. You can easily clean it up by gentle scrapping. They did not use epoxy back when that rod was made. Do not need to get the handle area pristine since the new grip will cover up where the old handle was located. I would not use a strong solvent because it may affect the glue holding the bamboo strips together, you do not want to delaminate your bamboo rod.
Norm

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: September 24, 2018 10:11PM

Thanks Mathew & Norm.

Main guide and ferrule wraps easy to remove. Trim bands are the devils own work to remove.

Grip removal will have to wait until the rain stops - got to keep the cork dust outside.

Date: September 25, 2018 06:23PM

are you going to strip it down to bare blank ?
as for the trim bands carefully etch them with a sharp point and lift the finish along with what ever threads that pull up and grab them with a tweezers or hemostat and pull in the direction they are under the finish and it should lift the finish and make removal easier.

Wi.

Date: September 25, 2018 06:43PM

back in days gone by we would take the bamboo rod section at a time and tape the ends it down to the bench on each end and then carefully use glass microscope slides to scrape off the old finish keeping from any rounding of the edges. and keep track of the number of strokes on each facet so you don't change the blanks action or power from being to aggressive with the scraping, and do that for each facet of the blank then give it a wipe down with a dry tack cloth or a piece of suede leather to remove any dust or micro splinters and the apply a fresh coat of new spar today you can use PG or any good out door urethane and re wrap.
yes a painstaking process but that is how I was taught and always had a excellent result and a new rod look
these things were always a great winter project as it takes time to do

Wi.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (---)
Date: September 26, 2018 10:05AM

Having redone grips on my fair share of bamboo rods I’d do this.
Make four slits the length of the grip with a utility knife. Then pit a small screwdriver in one of the slits and twist. Chucks should pop off. Repeat as necessary. Clean up any remaining glue/cork with the same utility knife. There you go.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster