I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly rod storage
Posted by: ron zimmerman (---.tcso.qwest.net)
Date: September 23, 2018 10:46PM

I'm curious as to which orientation is correct for storing fly rods horizontally . Store with the eyes up or down ? With the spine or against . I know this is a silly question but when looing at my rods the end sections bend down and I wouldn't want them to take a set . I had one do that but it was leaning against a wall in the good old Arizona @#$%& heat .

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly rod storage
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 23, 2018 10:57PM

you don't want them to take a set then the best way is to have them horizontal and no line through the guides
Heat will make a set happen faster

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: September 23, 2018 11:03PM

Bamboo ? Glass ? , carbon fiber ? Bamboo store vertical , in a Case I think . [ I DO ] glass or fiber ? in a case also , dry cool place & dry , [ NOT HOT ] , I store all my good rod's or not so good in a case ,
Cheep case an a BAG ,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: September 23, 2018 11:03PM

SORRY >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

William Sidney
AK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2018 11:14AM by Bill Sidney.

Date: September 23, 2018 11:45PM

I have a horizontal rod rack . That's the way I store them . My only question is do I store them spine up or down ?

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 23, 2018 11:49PM

as long there is no weight on the rod and it is horizontal it won't affect the spine up or down

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: September 24, 2018 12:12AM

A graphite rod won't take a set.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: September 24, 2018 12:03PM

The simple way to store any of your rods is to use a 10 foot section of 4" thinwall pvc pipe. If the rods are not in a case, you can nicely store about 15 rods in a pipe like this. Put a cap on each end of the pipe and store it any way that you like.

If the pvc pipe is full of rods, the rod shape will not move and the pipe and cap will keep the rods free of dust, dirt, moisture and an vermin that might be lurking around.

A convenient place for many folks is to then just take the loaded pvc pipe and place it on top of the rafters in the garage where the rods will be kept out of sight and out of mind and be safe from change, dirt or creatures.

If you store a rod horizontally not in a case, it is best if the rod is laying on a straight adequately supported shelf. Then, there will be no issue with the rod doing any changing due to storage.

------------------
p.s.
There are huge amounts of storage in the typical home or shop. i.e. behind doors, stored vertically in vertical rod racks that are fastened to the wall behind the door.
If there are no reels on the rod, you can store the rods on 2 inch centers and store 15 rods behind a 30 inch door. A typical door frame and hinge results in about 4 inches of clear space behind the door when the door is opened.
I mount a piece of wood on the floor that is 2 inches wide and as long as desired with holes drilled partially through the wood to secure the butt of the rod for storage. Then, I use the St. Croix rod clips to secure the rod vertically with the board with the clips mounted about chest high on the wall.

Good luck

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: September 24, 2018 12:15PM

The problem is not the rod's orientation on a horizontal rack; it's the horizontal rack. Nonetheless, if you just gotta use a horizontal rack, dust the rods and rotate them 180 degrees frequently - and hope for the best.

Date: September 24, 2018 04:16PM

Thanks for the replies .

I store them on a rod rack so that I can admire them . I do that much more than I fish , living in Hellazonia and all .

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.drr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 24, 2018 05:59PM

If you store them on a well-designed vertical rack, one that does not impart a curve into the rod, then they can be admired and also have no risk of taking a set. Any material. I would avoid horizontal storage for any long term storage,especially if you cannot observe the rods. Nice to be able to glance at them now and then, even pick one up and admire it. And to make sure that cane rod isn't bent inside some opaque tube.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 24, 2018 10:35PM

The usual problem with horizontal storage is the suspension points! One near the grip and one near the tip. This allows bowing in between. If you use multiple suspension points you can alleviate the bowing. Vertical is still better!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2018 06:21PM by Phil Erickson.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: September 25, 2018 07:53PM

Do not store your fly rods in the vicinity of an overhead fan.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster