I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Have any of you abandoned using a brush for your rod finishes?
Posted by: mike quinn (---.lightspeed.rlghnc.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 21, 2018 02:59AM

I handle bubbles the same way both on my rod or after mixing and pouring on foil covered plate. I use a small red bar straw and gently blow them bubbles away. On my rod I do this before applying light heat to the epoxy just to get it to flow into the threads.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: September 21, 2018 03:12AM

Tom,
I only have one temperature. The heat is either off or on.

I heat up the gun and just go over the rod in passes of the heat gun. Normally not too close, nor too fast, nor too slow. Just right.

If you are too far away or too fast, there will be no effect on the finish.

If you are too close, or too slow you will boil the finish which is no good either.

So, you just have it close enough and move it at the right speed, so that the finish thins a bit, any bubbles move out and disappear.

Be safe

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 21, 2018 07:43AM

Tom Harder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey Tom, how do you like the U-40 Epoxy? I went
> and watched the video. Great video. You're right,
> we tend to complicate the whole process. Did you
> make the video? Anybody else on the U-40? I
> remember when I started I used to rotate my rods
> by hand but that's over 40 years ago. I'm glad
> those days are gone. Along with the cup and a
> phone book. I usually ended up putting something
> heavy on them. We've come a long way since then. I
> remember the rotisseries were always a problem. I
> don't recall why though. I had reliability issues
> with them. Trying to get the inserts to stay in
> the rotisserie "chuck" were always a problem too.
> Well, at least it was for me until I put simple
> rubber bands on the square insert I'd make to work
> with it.

I like the U-40 epoxy but also use Flex Coat, etc. I never pay too much mind to the brand. They all give the same results - you just have to find the one that suits you and how you work.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: September 21, 2018 10:34AM

Thanks, Tom. That is what I was trying to communicate. And it is true that a higher temperature does destroy bubbles in a finish.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.218-62-69.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: September 21, 2018 09:25PM

I have used the Mudhole set and an set of stainless spatulas I got at a hobby store for basically every rod I've made. There are no downsides that I can see, and I've never (knock on wood) had a bubble in the final finish. Other than a clean up after applying finish there is no extra work, and the brushes for me, are more trouble than they are worth. But everybody, gets to their own comfort spot with finishing. I have also found that after applying the finish, the spatula is much better for taking excess finish off the wrap.

[www.mudhole.com]

I will say that I really only use one of the spatulas in the set-

The one at the bottom:

[www.mudhole.com]

I also made a rod after cutting a credit card into a spatula shape and that worked amazingly well.

Brushes-meh-who needs them, but use what works for you. In rod building there is often no "best way" but a number of options that all work equally well. But I will say, I don't own any brushes and a stainless spatula is easy to clean and store. I think with brushes, I'd only use one that and be thrown out after each finish session, because cleaning a brush well just takes too long.

Posted by: Tom Harder (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 23, 2018 05:10PM

Yep...that's the set I have as well Drew. I too like the one on the bottom. But, I like the one 2nd from the top for laying on more finish on smaller guides. I find with a spatula I have more control over how much goes on. I like using them on edge to move/spread the finish the way I like. I used brushes for decades, and really, I had little problem with them. For some reason I've never had bubbles or the "fish eyes" people talk about. But I clean every blank with Denatured Alcohol and I'm not one with oily hands. Then again, I have no idea what causes a fish eye.

But, I decided to try the spatula and I've not gone back. Good post Drew!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster