I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Repairing Broken Rods article
Posted by: Seth Johnson (---.williams.com)
Date: September 18, 2018 10:33AM

I'm interested in being able to repair damaged rods, so I was reading into the "Repairing Broken Rods" article by Ralph O'Quinn. I'm specifically looking into the rod tip break section. He mentions using a fiberglass rod tip section to repair graphite blanks due to the lower modulus of the material. If you don't have any lying around, where do you find suitable rod tip sections to do these repairs?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Repairing Broken Rods article
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 18, 2018 11:13AM

Yard sales. Pawn shops. Sometimes your local sporting goods store may have some broken rods lying around that they'll give you.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: September 18, 2018 01:25PM

Public fishing piers have waste bins which are constantly being refilled with broken rods. These are a steady supply of guides, tip-tops, and rod sections, sometimes including whole tip sections

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 19, 2018 01:26PM

Yes, glass is ideal, but using an old low modulus graphite rod for the sleeve can work quite well. I know all the reasons for using glass and for not using graphite, but I have done it a number of times. On one rod the CCS numbers did not change from new to the repaired rod and the rod seemed to perform the same as before it was broken (9 foot 8 wt fly rod broken in the third section up).

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 19, 2018 03:58PM

It is certainly possible to repair a rod and hardly affect the power or the action. Nearly always, however, the speed of the rod will slow. Particular the closer the repair is to the tip.

Of course, if you like the rod and want to get it back into action, you may be willing to accept a slight change in speed.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 19, 2018 04:44PM

Nearly, perhaps, but not always. The other rods I've put back into action seemed to feel the same, but I didn't check CCS. Some done with glass, some with graphite. Most broken near the tip. The fly rod was farther down, not near the tip.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.sub-174-235-133.myvzw.com)
Date: September 19, 2018 05:54PM

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Public fishing piers have waste bins which are
> constantly being refilled with broken rods. These
> are a steady supply of guides, tip-tops, and rod
> sections, sometimes including whole tip sections

Phil,
I have never even thought of that but it is a great idea for a budget rod.
Thanks,
Lance

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster