I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

4wt Quickline components check
Posted by: Dan Rees (---.19.6.51.dyn.plus.net)
Date: September 17, 2018 04:15PM

Hi all, do you think the following would work ok?

9' 4wt Pac Bay Quickine
Batson RA701 Shiny Gunsmoke reel seat and winding check to match
Grip made using 1/4" cork rings from Indarfly.it

Would like to use Recoil single foots to keep the weight down but not sure on sizes. Pac Bay lists 12, 10, 4, 3, 3, 3, 2, 2, 2, 2 for this blank. Apart from the two strippers do these sizes convert easily to Recoil RSF's or should I go smaller? What about s10, 4, 3, 2, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1? Do I even need two stripping guides on a 4wt?

I'll probably chose a Recoil tip top too. Not a huge fan of the look of them but really want to keep the weight down in the tip section.

Thread probably black with gun smoke metallic accents.

Thanks for any thoughts you may have.
Dan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2018 04:25PM by Dan Rees.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 4wt Quickline components check
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: September 17, 2018 07:36PM

No, you only need 1 stripping guide for a 4 weight.

1s seem a size small for single foot guides. Make sure you can easily line the rod with the leader attached and the line doubled over on itself.

I've been trying a single "transition" guide after the stripping guide. Seems to cast OK. Try it and test cast to determine if it works for you.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: September 17, 2018 08:51PM

This is your rod , you can use any thing you would like , use # 10 for a stripper an a # 6 single foot , then drop to # 2 single foot , to fill the rest, that would be the best as I see it , you can use any thing that looks good NOTE you could even use # 1 for the running , [I don't like the number # 1 to small for me ]

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: September 18, 2018 01:06AM

Mine's 10, #2, and #1 to the tip top REC light wire guides on the wire guides, standard tip top as the REC are butt ugly.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: September 18, 2018 09:14AM

Dan,
If I were to build I'd go with a 9 guide set-up.
I do prefer dual strippers #12 and #10 followed by #4 chrome snake ; #3 chrome snake ; #3 chrome snake and the top 4 guides #2 single foot light wire titanium.
Std loop tip top either chrome or REC. I've used both, the REC titanium is lighter, making the rod response better, but is a little on the homely side. Both perform well.
Guide Spacing
4.3 ; 9.3 ; 15.1 ; 21.9 ; 29.7 ; 38.9 ; 49.5 ; 61.9 ; 76.4

Gene

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2018 09:33AM by Eugene Moore.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: September 18, 2018 06:13PM

A #3 wire and 10 mm ceramic are the same size, so for me I wouldn't go any bigger than that, but to each their own. I go to the small guides quick on all my rods, but especially on fly rods. Remember if you use REC single foot guides it doesn't take much heat to unsolder them, I use a hook file on the feet if they need it, nothing powered.

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.subs.proxad.net)
Date: September 19, 2018 01:16AM

I’m with Spencer.
Very good advice for grinding the foot of single foot Recoil ;-)

Posted by: Dan Rees (---.19.6.51.dyn.plus.net)
Date: September 19, 2018 04:19PM

Thank you very much for all your advice. Plenty to think about, particularly with regard to the recoil feet and solder.

Thanks again, I'll keep you informed of how I get on.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: September 22, 2018 08:50AM

If you use lightweight REC snake guides I recommend you use Forhan wraps on both legs of each guide. These are excellent guides but so flexible I have had one foot back out from under its wrapping when it bumped against some obstacle.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster