I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

AL's CP Question
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: September 17, 2018 03:50PM

Sometimes feel as if I'm on a never ending quest to find the perfect CP - or the Holy Grail - whichever comes first.

This year's candidate (I very infrequently need to use a CP) is AL's CP, and in a few minutes I will be applying the 5th coat of AL's to 50 weight silk wraps.

For those of you who use AL's on silk, how many applications usually gets the job done?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: AL's CP Question
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 17, 2018 05:12PM

been a couple years since I used it but I did 4-5 coats with great results after the learning curve with it you need to make positive that you get the wrap ends saturated so there won't be any bleed other than that it is good stuff for silk

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: September 17, 2018 05:42PM

Thanks, Matthew. Cheated on the wrap ends thing with very dark navy trim bands. Going to be difficult to see if I didn't (I think I did) get the wrap ends saturated as they appear nearly black anyway.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: September 17, 2018 05:43PM

Same for me, I've had less problems with the dark blotch syndrome on the wraps with this stuff.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2018 12:13AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: September 18, 2018 08:12AM

I just finished a rod and used Al’s. Blue silk with white silk tipping. Yep I was worried about bloching. I think I did three coats of CP.
the first coat i made sure I saturated the guide feet. Then the other two were normal coats. No problems. Rod looks great and the colors are bright.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster