I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Polarized Sunglasses
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: September 14, 2018 01:59AM

While not directly related to rodbuilding, I am certain most of you fish when not wrapping a rod. While fishing, I am also certain at least most of you utilize polarized sun glasses. What have all of you found to be the most cost-effective yet efficient polarized sun glasses? Being the frugal type I am, OK cheap bastard, I do not see the point in spending over $100.00 on a pair of sunglasses only to let them be bounced around and beat up on a boat while fishing. I also realize and have experienced the sub $20.00 polarized sunglasses are just plain lousy, fragile, ineffective and a waste of money. I certainly appreciate any feedback and recommendations.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Polarized Sunglasses
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 14, 2018 05:26AM

[blog.fishidy.com]
a bit of info on the lenses and color
I ware glasses so when I get a new pair of sunglasses I have them add polarization to the lenses and I get at least 2 pair 1 gray/black the other amber/brown

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.15.236.249.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: September 14, 2018 08:23AM

Im blind.. I cant see past 2 1/2 feet with out my perscriptions on.. So i got a pair of perscription polarized shades now.. And they are so so.. I know what you mean about 20$ and under being sub par.. But.. And Again, i wear glasses so this applies to someone who already has frames on thier head.. Walmart has those spinny things usually by the jewlery department, they have clip-on polarized.. The kind with the spring in the middle... Let me tell you what.. Ive compared them to 400$+ and somehow these cheap 14$ things blow them away... The downfall is they are cheap.. So they break fairly easy.. But in all seriousness, they work really good..

Posted by: Jim Levy (---.prvdri.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 14, 2018 10:20AM

Try bombereyewear.com. I have several pairs of Bombers and have used and abused them for years with no obvious signs of wear. I regret that my eyesight has deteriorated t the point that I just purchased a very expensive pair of prescription sunglasses. In spit of the high price tag, other than being able to see, I still prefer my Bombers!

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: September 14, 2018 12:12PM

Polarization, lens color, sturdy frames, and being frugal are good things; cataracts are another thing. In addition to polarization, tint, the lens and proper frames a fellow really needs UVA & UVB protection as well as UV exposure is a cumulative issue.

Posted by: Alex Weissman (---)
Date: September 14, 2018 12:53PM

I also wear glasses and wore the flip ups for many years until.... One of my fishing buddies had a pair of Cocoons that I tried on. I could see so much more with the Cocoons that I'm on my 4 th pair. I wear the amber lenses for mostly fresh water fishing.

Posted by: Shawn Weisenbeck (---.nspco.com)
Date: September 14, 2018 02:47PM

Check out [nativeyewear.com]. I've been wearing the green flat irons for the last 5 years and love them. They are a little on the spendy side but not compared to Oakley's or Costas. The best part is they have a lifetime warranty that allows you to get a new pair of the same model sent to you for $30. Even if you break them or scratch the lenses which I constantly seem to do. Their customer service is very nice to work with and the glasses are pretty good quality.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: September 14, 2018 02:52PM

Costa, typhoons and Wiley x r what I have and use. I am a bait and tackle distributor and spend A LOT of time on the road. If I am outside I have one of those 3 brands on at all times. I generally fish 2-4 days a week and NEVER fish without eye protection. You only have one chance with your eyesight, I don’t care what it costs if it protects my eyes and continues to allow me to pursue my outdoor passion I’m gonna pay it!!

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 14, 2018 10:04PM

Smith optics with chromo pop lenses or igniter lenses. Not cheap but great in all light conditions and for sight fishing.

Posted by: ron zimmerman (---.tcso.qwest.net)
Date: September 14, 2018 10:43PM

I buy my script polaroid's from Zenni.com . I just got a pair of Amber polarized glasses with spring hinges for less than $ 60 and they work . I'm a cheap bastage and I refuse to buy that expensive crap .

Date: September 15, 2018 01:24AM

Thank you for the replies and advice. Without naming names, I have purchased and broken (far too easily) two pair of polarized fishing sunglasses from a predominate vendor to the left. While they were only $19.95, I felt a major player within the industry would afford a higher quality product but their offering is absolute junk.
So I think I will give Bombers a try, thanks Jim.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 15, 2018 07:52AM

x2 for Zenni.com

Posted by: David Parsons (---.s16300.c3-0.drf-cbr1.atw-drf.pa.cable.rcncustomer.com)
Date: September 15, 2018 04:14PM

I too wear cocoons that have side lens because I was told that with out your eye adjust to the lenses and the sun light coming in the side causes cataracts plus they fit over my glasses

Date: September 16, 2018 01:21AM

… Or maybe Zenni. Thanks!

Mark Talmo

Posted by: jeroen teugels (---.18120a2.ip6.access.telenet.be)
Date: October 17, 2018 03:52PM

although I use wiley x nowadays, the best polarising effect I ever had with fishing sunglasses was with the H3O sunglasses...
Only problem I had is that the "surge" model I had was too small for my head, so the wiley x looks cooler :-)
H3O had great customer service too!
Greetz from Belgium
Jeroen

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster