I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Shaping EVA on blank
Posted by: Jon Meyers (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 12, 2018 02:10PM

Hey Everyone,
I recently built a musky rod with an EVA handle.
I love the rod, but what I thought was a nice size handle just happens to be to big of girth. I'd like to sand it down a bit but not sure of the easiest way to do it.
My original thought is just to do it by hand with the turning lathe, but this would be a slow process. I could try to put it in my rod turner but I wouldn't be able to get the butt of the grip then....

Just wondering what any of you have done in the past.

Thank you,
Jon

Re: Shaping EVA on blank
Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 12, 2018 03:50PM

I would just put it on my rod wrapper, turn the RPM up and take some off. Make sure you put masking tape at the ends of the handle where the reel seat or the blank may get scratched.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: September 13, 2018 10:45AM

Jon,
May I ask where you are located?

I have obtained a heavy duty DC variable speed motor to take care of this job.

I bolt it down to my rod wrapper and turn it at the speed where the rod is still stable - not jumping around due to the imbalance of the guides and shape the grip as needed.

If you happen to be in the Minneapolis MN area, I would be more than happy if you wanted to stop by and turn your grip.

Take care

Posted by: Jon Meyers (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 13, 2018 01:42PM

Hey Roger!
I've actually been out your way in the past... you helped me bore a hole in my already finished wooden handle!
I'm in the Minnetonka area, are you around this weekend by chance?

The rod is 9' long. will that be to long for your lathe?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2018 01:48PM by Jon Meyers.

Date: September 13, 2018 05:24PM

Jon,
Drop me an e-mail and we will get together.

hflier@comcast.net

No problem with the length.

Roger

Posted by: Jon Meyers (---)
Date: September 16, 2018 10:12AM

Big thank you to my buddy Roger for helping me with this project.

The man has all the answers!

Jon Meyers
Loon State

Date: September 16, 2018 07:01PM

Jon,
You are welcome. I enjoyed the day.

The 1/2 hp variable speed DC motor does an excellent job to spin your big rod for grip shaping.

Be safe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster