I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

two piece reel seat
Posted by: Rex Mason (---)
Date: September 12, 2018 07:16AM

I am building a 7' casting rod with a two piece reel seat.
I am not sure if the reel will be low profile or round.
The person I am building the rod for will not select the reel until she has tried several reels from her husbands inventory.

What should the spacing be between the face of the rear trigger piece and the threaded barrel? I will leave the barrel full length on this build.

Will the spacing used be correct for rods I might build in the future? I am trying to build a rod building computer note folder for things I cannot find on the internet.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: two piece reel seat
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: September 12, 2018 09:59AM

Rex,
When I build 2-piece reel seats and use cork as a separator, I always use 3 rings or 1 1/2 inches. I have found that space works for all of the various reels that I use - which range from 1000 sized reels to 5000 sized reels.

Take care

Posted by: Seth Johnson (---.williams.com)
Date: September 12, 2018 11:36AM

The recommended split on the Fuji SK2 is 34 mm between the two parts. I have seen others state that you're fine with anywhere between 1" and 1.5", but I've always just put mine on at 34mm (~1.34") and never had an issue.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 12, 2018 04:07PM

Fuji SK2 1.25" space MEASURED FROM THE INSIDE EDGE OF THE BARREL TO THE INSIDE EDGE OF THE REAR TRIGGER PIECE BARREL. If not a Fuji then mount the reel seat to the blank in the location where it will be with tape. Make sure the nut is in the position on the barrel with it fully tightened the way it will be when finished and mark the blank. At 1.5" on a SK2 reel seat the nut will usually go over the barrel at the end covering the WCS (between the barrel and the rear seat piece) and not look right. Most of the reel feet spacing on reels from Shimano, 13 Fishing or Lews will do this if this space is greater than 1.25" with an SK2 reel seat. Other 2 pc reel seats from Pac Bay, Phenix or American Tackle may be different.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2018 04:30PM by Lance Schreckenbach.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: September 12, 2018 06:19PM

Unless she picks a real large round reel, the reel foot will be identical between the reels, for instance the Shimano Calcutta round and Curado low profile have the same size foot. Also the same size as a Diawa low profile, Abu low profile, and Abu C3 round reels to the 6500 size.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2018 06:22PM by Spencer Phipps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster