I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Aligning guides
Posted by: Douglas Respress (172.77.79.---)
Date: September 10, 2018 10:09AM

What is everybody using to line your guides up on the rod blank? I have the CRB laser but it doesn’t work that well.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Aligning guides
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: September 10, 2018 10:34AM

Douglass,
The best thing that I have found is bright light and pointing the rod toward a white wall and sighting down the rod.
By using the bright light and the white wall, it is easy to see any guides that are not aligned correctly.

I will first sight down the guide side of the rod and do a quick alignment.
Then, I will flip the rod over and sight down the blank side of the rod - giving the rod a slight twist to each side to verify the ability to see the edge of a guide poking over the edge of the blank for an equal amount of blank rotation in either direction.

It is interesting as to how quick one can spot a guide that is slightly or grossly out of alignment by using the two sighthing methods.

----------------
I have also used all sorts of lights, lasers, strings and a few other methods.

But, I have found nothing that is quicker nor more accurate than sighting down the rod.

By the way, whenever a client picks up a rod, about 90% of the time one of the first things that he/she will do is to sight down the rod to verify that the guides are aligned.

So, since it is quite likely that a user of the rod is going to sight down the rod to verify guide alignment, it only makes sense to utilize the same method as a final alignment check for the build process.

Good luck

Posted by: Douglas Respress (---)
Date: September 10, 2018 11:05AM

Thanks for the input. I look down the rod also because the laser doesn’t work that well.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: September 10, 2018 11:20AM

Does a perfectly straight guide train always produce the best cast for all types of lines, from braid to monofilament, and line of any diameter or stiffness? I refer only to spinning reels. With conventional reels "line slap" from line hitting the guides doesn't seem to be a major issue. Maybe that's why conventional reels can cast farther than spinning reels.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: September 10, 2018 11:22AM

You're correct; lasers are not such a good idea for guide alignment.

And Roger is correct; we've got mighty fine "onboard alignment devices" - our eyes.

Problem is, the blank is frequently not dead on straight even when the guides are mounted on the straightest axis. And this makes sighting down the blank a challenge. My solution is to use the vertical groves in the basement wall paneling by holding the rod in the groves and then adjusting the guides as needed until equal amount of each guide over hangs the blank. Works well for most rods with the exception of Robert's / spiral wrapped rods for which the 180 degree axis running guides must be aligned before stripping and transition guides are wrapped.

An alternative that has worked for me is to use the inside corner of a door frame trim instead of paneling groves.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: September 10, 2018 11:47AM

Douglas

I agree the eye is the best tool. The problem is that you may have to try many configurations and gyrations to get a "sight picture" of the guide alignment.
In my case during the day my best shot is in my garage with the door up and I point the rod towards my neighbors driveway. At night the best place is in my garage pointing at the white AC duct.
After I think they are in line I get a second opinion, I ask my wife to check my work.

Have fun

John

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 10, 2018 11:58AM

Although you may not get the guides in perfect alignment, it is doubtful that tiny deviations from perfect affect casting distance to any noticeable degree. I would add, however, that with any sort of "micro" guide train, alignment is more critical as the space within the guide ring for margin of error will be less. But don't fret over it too much - just get things as close as you can and then go out and enjoy the rod.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.sub-174-235-1.myvzw.com)
Date: September 10, 2018 12:18PM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Douglass,
> The best thing that I have found is bright light
> and pointing the rod toward a white wall and
> sighting down the rod.
> By using the bright light and the white wall, it
> is easy to see any guides that are not aligned
> correctly.
>
> I will first sight down the guide side of the rod
> and do a quick alignment.
> Then, I will flip the rod over and sight down the
> blank side of the rod - giving the rod a slight
> twist to each side to verify the ability to see
> the edge of a guide poking over the edge of the
> blank for an equal amount of blank rotation in
> either direction.
>
> It is interesting as to how quick one can spot a
> guide that is slightly or grossly out of alignment
> by using the two sighthing methods.
>
> ----------------
> I have also used all sorts of lights, lasers,
> strings and a few other methods.
>
> But, I have found nothing that is quicker nor more
> accurate than sighting down the rod.
>
> By the way, whenever a client picks up a rod,
> about 90% of the time one of the first things that
> he/she will do is to sight down the rod to verify
> that the guides are aligned.
>
> So, since it is quite likely that a user of the
> rod is going to sight down the rod to verify guide
> alignment, it only makes sense to utilize the same
> method as a final alignment check for the build
> process.
>
> Good luck

This is what I do also. You can also take it outside and use the sky as a background. Whatever you do, it will still be better than a store bought rod.

Posted by: Douglas Respress (---)
Date: September 10, 2018 03:12PM

Thanks guys for the helpful information.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 10, 2018 04:47PM

Agree with Roger for the final check, but you will be surprised when you pinch gently a guide between the finger and thumb, then with those digits supported by the blank, run the finger/thumb down the rod to the next guide. If it's out of alignment you will probably notice it. I use that method when placing the guides to be wrapped onto the blank just before wrapping.

Then the final check like Roger does.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 10, 2018 04:59PM

Regarding whether they have to be in alignment for best performance, because I am what I am, they have to be in perfect alignment or they bug the heck out of me. Forever. I'll bet that fits most of us builders.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: September 10, 2018 06:04PM

I use the blank itself as an alignment tool, facing the guides away from me it's easy to use the blank to compare how much guide hangs over on each side. I wrap the rod and fine tune if needed by a final sight down on the guide side, than finish the rod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster