I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Re-extending Surf Rod Blank Butt
Posted by: William Scott Hunt, III (---.midsouth.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 10, 2018 09:08AM

Kind of a weird question I know:

I have a Wheels Reels, Inc. (WRI) Fusion Blank that I built on about 10 years ago. The blank was 13' and I cut 6 inches off of the butt, to build the rod overall length at 12'6". The rod blank is a 60/40 split 2-piece. The butt section for these blanks were built 22mm OD and are parallel section (non-tapered). I still have the 6 in cut-off piece and want to reattach it to the butt section before I re-build the rod, in order to build the rod overall length at 13'0". Just for background, these blanks were rated as follows from WRI: 6 to 10 oz, Heavy Power, Fast Action. (ie,with the 60/40 split and thick-walled, parallel section, the butt is STIFF).

Anyone done this? My biggest question, I think, is was if the best material, (solid or tubing) to epoxy inside of the the 2 sections. Ive thought about aluminum tubing, soild fiberglass rod, etc., but wanted to check here as I assume someone may have better suggestions/experience. Also wondering about amount of overlap inside of the blank would be best, what, if any treatment on outside for repaired blank would be best, knowing that I will likely be covering the entire repair area with shrink tube type grip.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks,

Scott Hunt
scotthuntemail@gmail.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Re-extending Surf Rod Blank Butt
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 10, 2018 09:55AM

There is an article in the library here on this very topic.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 10, 2018 04:02PM

A hickory,oak, or maple dowel 1ft. long inserted from the butt of that 6" cut off so that it extends 6" into the blank will be strong enough to support the extension. The only pressure that piece will have on it is during the cast. I would not use hollow aluminum tubing. Solid fiberglass rod would also be a good replacement for the wood dowel.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 10, 2018 04:30PM

you can go to the tree nursery or the home improvement store and see if you can get one of the fiberglass support poles for sapling trees and fit it to the size you need epoxy it up good and let it cure and your good to go

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: September 10, 2018 06:07PM

Tom's idea is the best and all the info you need about overlap is in there.

Posted by: Sandy Harris (---.dyn6.twc.com)
Date: September 10, 2018 07:43PM

Before I started building for myself I had a rod made by someone I met on one of the fishing sites. I fished the rod for a month or so and the handle separated at the reel seat. Since the rod had a "lifetime" guarantee I sent it back. The gentleman sent it back to me with a note that he could assure me it wouldn't break in that spot again. A couple of years later the reel seat started loosening up and by then I had found someone locally to build for me. I gave the rod to him to see what he could do with it and got a call to come by his shop. When I got there he showed me the "guaranteed" repair which consisted of a 10" carriage bolt inserted up through the butt of the rod with a half a pound of epoxy holding it in place.

I personally don't recommend that method.........

Date: September 11, 2018 10:52AM

Thanks everyone for the info. I saw the repair article in the library....Thanks Tom for that reference. Really helps understand the overlap "calcs" better just like Spencer referenced. I think my biggest challenge in going to be finding a suitable outer sleeve with the right fit/material.

I may end up bailing on the entire idea, as another local builder is offering a great $ to buy the rod from me as is (get right to the point about economics that Ralph hit on in the article)...certain WRI blanks are in good demand, as they are not made anymore and are have a good number of diehard followers on the old drum/outer banks circuit. Great blanks for sure.

Thanks again!

Thanks,

Scott Hunt
scotthuntemail@gmail.com

Posted by: Mark B. Gonsalves (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: September 12, 2018 04:09AM

Being that when a rod breaks it's usually the tip section, you might be able to find someone willing to part with a remaining butt section.of the rod you have.

Date: September 12, 2018 09:42AM

Great idea Mark. The only challenge there is that the WRI butts are coveted/valuable as they can interchange with some other tops. The tip sections are so heavy on these type of rods, that normally you dont see them break very often. The more I look at the situation, I think that a longer plug/ferrule on the inside and no outer sleeve might be the ticket because of the fact that the "repair" is at the last 6 inches of a very stiff butt section. Thanks again!

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.gtcom.net)
Date: September 12, 2018 05:56PM

There is no problem with extending a rod with an inserted piece of blank, it also may be easier to find an old blank that will fit inside the blank you have . Over sleeving would require stripping the rod down, a lot more work.
Norm

Date: September 13, 2018 09:12AM

Thanks Norman,

I listed above that its a 60/40 split...it may actually be more like a 70/30 split. Either way, the great news is that these blanks are always built with all of the guides on the tip section. When/if I extend the blank, I will have to cut off and relocate/replace the reel seat, which is easy enough. Main thing Im looking for now is a parallel wall solid rod or tube to use for an inside plug. It looks like I can get something like that in glass or carbon, in the form of a remnant, for relatively cheap from somewhere like Grainger or elsewhere online. Im not a full-time builder so I dont have access to scrap blanks/sections, particularly not of this larger diameter, parallel wall/section, and stiffness.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster