I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

abu garcia hellbender XS54M LX33 restoration... Maybe...
Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.15.236.249.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: September 10, 2018 01:24AM

Hey guys.. So this rod is a 1 piece, 5'4" guides are loose, epoxy cracking at every guide, touch of rust.. Eva grip is dry rotted.. Plastics are worn to the point of pitting.. Ovbiously the trim paint is very close to completly worn off.. So why would i want to have it restored? It was the rod my grandfather tought me to fish on.. I have no idea how old it is... Cant find anything on it online... (If anyone has a clue, please let me know) im not confident enough to restore the rod... I just want to see it in its prime again... Theres another rod i have that was his as well.. Long custom crappie rod, i havent looked at it in years.. He passed away in 92', when he passed my brother and i stopped fishing for almost 12 years.. Now we go every day again.. These are the only thing i have to remember him... 2 rods.. Any suggestions? Should they just become mantle pieces? The last thing i want to do is start restoring it and run into a major problem above my skill level.. (And you guys know my skill level isnt very high what so ever) im going to send abu garcia a support message after posting this, see how quick they blow me off.. (Its obviousy past the limited 3yr warrenty lol) any suggestions are welcome.. I just wish i could find a picture online somewhere to atleast remember what the trim paint looked like.. Kinda broke my heart to see it in this condition.. But it wasnt in my possession until about 6 years ago.. And the damage was already done.. Ive only now been able to bring myself to finally pick them up.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: abu garcia hellbender XS54M LX33 restoration... Maybe...
Posted by: Don Mang (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 10, 2018 06:14AM

Anthony,
Try going to to Mitchellreelmusem.com they have a garcia forum on rods their. I think someone their can date it for you. They will ask for you to post a picture, if you can. Pictures have to be 850 pixels or less. You have to join (free) to particiate. Let me know how you make out. I do have a friend their that may help if you don't find out in the forum.
Don

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: September 10, 2018 10:40AM

Anthony,
For your particular case, I would suggest that you simply hang up the rods as they are, and then be able to remember your loved one any time that you glance at the display.

In this particular case, it is all about memories. The rods aged, in a way similar to your loved one. Just remember him through the years, as you look again at the display on the wall.

Best of luck

p.s.
After my father passed, I received a few of the tools that he once owned. I keep the tools in my tool box and every time that I pick up one of these unique tools, I smile again with the pleasant memories of the two of us working on some task together over the years. It is all about memories. Don't do anything to the rod that takes away from those memories.

Date: September 10, 2018 10:40AM

I will do that, thanks...

Got an email for abu garcia, cant help... Check with mudhold.com its not even a working website.. Figures...

Date: September 10, 2018 10:47AM

My grandfather had a massive arrow head collection, we sew one into every vest we get.. That way hes always fishing with us.. After sleeping on it i think your right on just displaying the rods.. Im still going to date the rods..

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.sub-174-235-1.myvzw.com)
Date: September 10, 2018 12:27PM

The problem with an old rod that has been abused is that it is likely to break, so you won't have it anyway even if you are able to restore it. The best I think you could do is make a duplicate you can fish with and hang the original as it is on a wall with the reel and maybe an old lure that you used with your grandfather. The memories will always be there.

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.44.102.191.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: September 10, 2018 12:38PM

I plan to put in on the wall if its restored.. I wouldnt fish with it... That is the intention.. Although it would be a memorable experience.. I understand the risk of possible damage..

Posted by: Don Mang (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 11, 2018 08:35AM

I asked a friend to date your rod, he's a vintage collector. He told me once you get to "Abu Garcia" that's past 1981. "My catalogs (by Charles Garcia and then Garcia Corp.) run from 1953 through 1981". Hope that helps narrow it down. Might want to change your signature from cought to caught.

Date: September 11, 2018 11:20AM

Ha.. Cant believe i missed that typo.. Thanks.. Thats a little embarrassing...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster