I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Reasonable Lead Time for Rod Blank Reproduction?
Posted by: Russ Amato (---.directcom.com)
Date: September 08, 2018 08:35AM

What is a reasonable time for Rod Blank production? I am currently awaiting on rod blank production from North Fork Composites and waiting now for over month. Every time I inquire on status of this order , I hear another two weeks, Two weeks. Sounds like the contractor in the movie "Money Pit". I hate to sound like I'm complaining but I have customers waiting for their orders and have never had to deal with this long of a lead time for a small order. I have heard great things about Gary Loomis and North Fork Composites and still excited about building on one of their rod blanks but I just started a small rod building business and have to have a blank manufacturer who can deliver a product on some kind of schedule. I would appreciate any feedback including from North Fork Composites. My blank delivery is probably just around the corner but a little communication from the blank manufacturer who ease my mind.

Thank you

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reasonable Lead Time for Rod Blank Reproduction?
Posted by: Ross Pearson (---.dlth.qwest.net)
Date: September 08, 2018 09:17AM

The companies have schedules for blank production that can run out into the future for months in advance of the actual production date. In the past, I have waited months for some blanks when they were out of stock.

Date: September 08, 2018 10:05AM

Thanks for Feedback . If this is a normal lead time , I may have to deal with it.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: September 08, 2018 12:34PM

I imagine lead time for a custom rod blank is the reciprocal of the number of orders for that blank. Otherwise, the manufacturer would go broke in a month.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: September 08, 2018 05:06PM

Try contacting them thru their facebook page. They might be more amenable there.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: September 08, 2018 11:04PM

they are not known to be very fast on there shipments of orders [ in fact they are very slow ] on there orders, rods or grips , look up some of the comments , on NFC products on this web site ,

William Sidney
AK

Date: September 09, 2018 12:38AM

Thanks for all great feedback on this issue. I'm just a newby in the industry and its great to have a Rod building forum like this to show me the possible solutions to problems . Based on feedback received to date it sounds like I can expect a several month lead time for out of stock rod blanks . I am sure North Fork will deliver but it would have been nice to know the purchased rod blank was out of stock. I am an old gas pipeliner by trade and it sounds like rod blank production is similar to carbon steel pipe production at a pipe mill, you need to get on the production que and delivery is at times based on the quantity of your order . If you have a small order , you wait in line until the mill can roll your pipe with a larger order. I get it ! One difference appears to be payment terms as you normally don't complete payment on a pipe order until final delivery of pipe by the mill. I paid in full for a rod blank I thought was in stock but now I understand.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: September 09, 2018 02:09AM

most of the suppliers don't work that way, even on a BACK ORDERS , they only charge when shipped , If you go to one of the large supply shops . an order a NFC blank I am not sure how it would work for you

William Sidney
AK

Date: September 09, 2018 10:22AM

Thanks Bill. Yes I know if I had ordered from Anglers workshop or Mud hole they would not have billed me for back ordered or out of stock items until the order is filled. This is the reason I have been pushing NFC to deliver my rod blank. Again if I had known the out of stock issue up front I may not have purchased from them. I'm sure they will work with me to sort this out just not how I am used to dealing with Rod supply houses even prior to my small business setup. Again thanks for you comments to provide some clarity to this issue.

Posted by: Jay McKnight (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: September 09, 2018 11:55AM

I'm also waiting for a couple blanks I purchased awhile ago, but I was sort of prepared for it. I would say if keeping the overhead low helps keep their pricing low it's worth the wait.

Date: September 09, 2018 12:05PM

Good point and thus possibly a reason for the 50 % discounts being offered by NFC however they tell me its because of direct sales rather than via distributors like Batson.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 09, 2018 05:44PM

Yes, it is different dealing direct with a manufacturer, then with a retailer/distributor which rely's on having an on hand inventory.

Date: September 09, 2018 05:50PM

I understand. We Ordered from St . Croix and Sage before with approximate 4 wk delivery .

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.sub-174-235-1.myvzw.com)
Date: September 10, 2018 12:39PM

I am in the same boat with an order I put in 8/16/18. My last order took a little over a month to get. I don't think they're made until they are ordered because the inventory is taxed.

Date: September 10, 2018 01:38PM

Thanks for reply. Nice to know I am not along here with your and other comments.

Date: September 22, 2018 12:06PM

Hey Lance,

Let me know when you recieve your order.

Thank you

Posted by: David Miller (---.dyn6.twc.com)
Date: September 30, 2018 04:49PM

Patience is a virtue. Easier said than done though.

I made an order for a mb 664 on July 16 then added a X Ray SJ 732 on 8-21 when they were running 65% off for 2 or more blanks plus free shipping. I received both of them on 9-28 and they both look and feel great especially the X Ray as it feels powerful for it's weight and fast action. For less than $120 I received 2 quality USA rod blanks for less than 1 Chinese made Point Blank rod blank. For me it was the right choice as I have a big desire to buy USA made when feasible. Hope to build these out this Winter. I can see if a rod builder is building for a costumer that waiting a month or longer can be an issue and keeping some of the popular models on hand or having the customer order the blank themselves maybe the best option.

Date: September 30, 2018 10:19PM

David,

Thanks for the information. Sounds like you ordered the right blanks and good yo hear your satisfied. I ordered and paid for one Fly blank in full
and even a response to my email inquiry would be appreciated from NFC but I have received nothing to date. I also believe in purchasing is USA . At this point hope to get something before year end or this will be my last order! Sorry but I am loosong patience quick.

Posted by: David Miller (---.dyn6.twc.com)
Date: October 02, 2018 10:51PM

Russ,

They have been pretty quick to respond about blank ?s through Facebook and I called and talked to Scarlet who was really nice and helpful getting the x Ray blank added on. I didn’t hear anything for awhile and was getting antsy until they sent an email showing it was shipped with tracking. It was at my door step across the country in 2 days in a thick cardboard shipping tube with excellent packing. I sure hope they get your fly rod blank sent out soon. I don’t know all of the ins and outs of the rod blank manufacturing business but I guess there is a balance between having a high enough volume to get shipping discounts and blank model runs often but not get completely swamped. They certainly made big improvements by covering shipping cost and the excise tax since last year that surely increased their production volume.

Date: October 02, 2018 11:41PM

Thanks David. I have emailed Scarlet several times but have not called her recently. My guess is my rod blank is not a popular item and they are waiting to accumulate enough orders to make a run. If no Rod Blank soon I will try another call to Scarlet, thanks for suggestions. No longer a Facebook member, so can only view information on limited basis.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster