I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wooden Spinning Reel Seats on JDM Rods
Posted by: Jason Le (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 07, 2018 02:20PM

Hey there guys,
I'm in the market to build a XUL Spinning rod with a 6'6 1wt fly rod blank.
I've been looking into spinning reel seats and can't seem to find one that is aesthetically pleasing... it seems like there is a hole in the market for nice looking spinning reel seats.
That being said, it seems like a few japanese companies that are creating some really sleek looking reel seats, namely Tenryu.

Here's a link to one of their reel seats: [www.finesse-fishing.com]

Their seats are made out of wood and I'm not sure how they lock the reel seat in, but I'm looking for something like it.

To my knowledge, the closest ones that are sold are by Andrew's Fishing Reel Seats and they're sold by Matagi Japan. However, I have not been able to find them on Matagi's website, nor have I been able to find them anywhere else.

Does anyone know where I can find such a reel seat? I'm surprised this format isn't as popular, as it looks so much better than the traditional spinning reel seats we see these days.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wooden Spinning Reel Seats on JDM Rods
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 07, 2018 02:31PM

[www.mudhole.com]

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Jason Le (---.s2979.c3-0.wtr-cbr1.sbo-wtr.ma.cable.rcncustomer.com)
Date: September 07, 2018 02:36PM

Mudhole doesn't have what I'm looking for- the threads are simply too visible and won't look good with my blank. I'm looking for something for streamlined and sleek.

I've considered using a flyrod sliding band seat mount as my reel seat, but ideally, someone chimes in with a better alternative.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: September 07, 2018 02:49PM

The sliding band fly seat is to short, to narrow, and to shallow for a spinning reel foot without considerable modification.

Date: September 07, 2018 03:10PM

That would be the case for nearly all modern day spinning reels, but on vintage reels such as the Daiwa 500c, they fit the bill perfectly. The vintage reels used metal seats, which is why I believe the reel seats are smaller.

Date: September 07, 2018 04:12PM

you can build it with a combination of parts starting with the seat I posted and then get this part
[www.mudhole.com]
and you will end up with a down locking reel seat the threads on the reel seats is pretty much the same tpi
you just have to want to experiment

Wi.

Posted by: Ladd Flock (---.central.yale.edu)
Date: September 07, 2018 05:19PM

Date: September 07, 2018 06:14PM

Sea Guide SWS reelseat.

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (199.241.225.---)
Date: September 07, 2018 07:29PM

I know Billy Vivona orders from Matagi quite often, you may want to drop him a line with the link and see what he either has or can get you through Matagi.

XLRODS@YAHOO.COM is Billy's e/mail.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 07, 2018 08:32PM

I would think that on a rod that light, a 9" Tennessee grip with shrink wrap overlay would be the most comfortable handle.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 07, 2018 08:35PM

Wooden reel seat, SK2 or skeleton reel seat with wooden insert. Use a hidden thread hood, either the KDPS or KSKSS/ASH hidden thread hood with an appropriate cork sleeve. These Fuji hidden thread hood will work with most size 16 threaded barrels. The reel seat you showed utilized a hidden thread hood with a cork sleeve and a wood insert between a skeleton seat.
Norm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2018 08:37PM by Norman Miller.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.clv.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 07, 2018 09:02PM

Lets see if this work's, My PC died a horrible death!! So I'm currently working off an ancient slow arse machine with none of my files!! , But I did find the link for you Jason that I believe you are looking for? [getrodblanks.com] It worked!!!!!!! this can be done with, Wood, Cork, Or a combination of both, Or with lightweight Syncork Cheers jaa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2018 09:14PM by Jay Dubay.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 07, 2018 09:14PM

If you can get what you need from a sponsor, please give them a try. They pay for this forum.

Date: September 07, 2018 10:19PM

This reel seat is perfect, but I looked at all of their distributors and none of them seem to carry the seats unfortunately.
Anyone have a set around these parts?

Date: September 07, 2018 11:24PM

what we have been saying is MUDHOLE has the parts the numbers are in Norm's post

Wi.

Date: September 08, 2018 11:11AM

I think there are still sponsors here selling Sea Guide products, I know Angler's Workshop was.

Date: September 08, 2018 03:28PM

You have these 2 choices for seats from mudhole
[www.mudhole.com]

[www.mudhole.com]

and then you buy this part [www.mudhole.com]
then remove the hood that comes with the hood on the seat and screw on the part above and add the your cork or eva grip piece and you should be good to assemble the seat the way you want it

Wi.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster