I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Finish Repelling - Satin Black Finish Blank
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: September 06, 2018 05:43PM

Running into an odd problem. In trying to finish some satin black finish blanks the Flex Coat is repelling from the blank on the ends of the finished section. Everything was cleaned with denatured alcohol prior to finishing.

Using Flex Coat UV high build.

These are import blanks and the satin black finish has this really slick feel to it.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Finish Repelling - Satin Black Finish Blank
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: September 06, 2018 07:00PM

Marc,
I suspect that the issue is the denatured alcohol.

You need to clean the blanks with a different solvent.

If you use Acetone or Xylene, it will take care of the issue.

HOWEVER --- test the solvent in some hidden area. This stronger solvent may remove the finish.

If you are using the flex coat for the thread finish and are concerned about the portion of the blank that will get finish that is off of the thread, you could use scotch bright to scuff the finish a touch and also accommodate your finishing needs. This gets more complicated, since you will need to use low tack blue tape on both your thread as well as the blank past the portion where you want the finish to be located. This is to avoid scuffing either the thread, or the balance of the blank that you do not want finish applied, without affecting the overall appearance.

If you are fortunate, you will not have an issue with the stronger solvent.

If you end up with a problem with the stronger solvent, you could do a test case where you simply use Windex to clean the blank. Spray the blank with windex and then do a good wipe down with a paper towel. The issue that you are having is something that is likely a bit oily in nature that is causing your finish to be repelled.

If the test with windex works, then you could do the cleaning with the windex, and keep the denatured alcohol away from the blank.

--------------------
I have had the same issue that you have had, if I had the mis adventure to clean the blank with denatured alcohol, so I no longer use the denatured alcohol any more for cleaning the blank.

Or, if I do use denatured alcohol to clean the blank for a troubling stain or mark, I will follow up with a good cleaning with windex which will clean off any residual from the denatured alcohol.

Good luck

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: September 06, 2018 07:16PM

Abandoned DNA years ago in favor of iso (AKA wood or rubbing alcohol) as a degreaser followed by a quick wash with Simple Green. Had a bad experience with DNA years ago and no longer use it.

I assume your problem is the epoxy is repelling from the blank but not from the wraps, is that correct? If yes, then the more probable cause is a contaminate, such as silicone, on the blank. What did you use to wipe down the rod with DNA? Was it a cloth that had been washed and then dried with an anti-static towel? Have you or someone else recently used a furniture polish, such as Pledge, in the room where you do finishing work? Is the repelling epoxy consistent for all wraps? Do you consistently wash your hands immediately before beginning any rod work and after any breaks?

Posted by: ron zimmerman (---.tcso.qwest.net)
Date: September 06, 2018 08:12PM

Subscribed

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: September 07, 2018 02:02AM

All of the common “Alcohols” should be sufficient for cleaning a blank prior to applying wrap finish, whether Isopropyl, DNA or Methanol is utilized. However, consider that Acetone is generally accepted as the generic epoxy clean-up solvent (Dare I say thinner). While I am certain others may disagree, I have, and continue to, rely upon Acetone for both pre and post structural composite / epoxy fabrication and now presently rod building applications without fail. Although typical rod building epoxy ratios of 1-to-1 differ from the typical structural epoxy ratios of approximately 4-to-1, they both respond extremely well and favorably with Acetone.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: John Cates (---)
Date: September 07, 2018 09:24AM

Marc

There is some kind of silicone contamination on the blank.

We clean our blanks with orange cleaner that we buy from Home Depot in a gallon concentrated jug. Make a water diluted solution and wipe the blank clean with a paper towel, then with water, and finally with a dry paper towel.

This process should clean off the contamination. It might be a good idea to test the finish adhesion before finishing a wrap.

Give us a call if you want to talk more 512-858-7742

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: September 07, 2018 11:53AM

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 07, 2018 08:43PM

Ronson lighter fluid .

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster