I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Dropping butt section on Dan Craft FTL
Posted by: Dan Rees (---.19.6.51.dyn.plus.net)
Date: September 05, 2018 03:58PM

H, thinking of dropping the butt section on my Dan Craft FTL 904/6 and was wondering if anyone here as tried this and their thoughts on the finished rod.
I always thought the 9' 4wt FTL was better with a 3wt line in my opinion. What effect does losing a section have on this? Would it still be a 3/4wt? Blank feels crisper in my hands without the butt section but obviously it doesn't even have any cork on it at this point.

This problem has arisen from damaging the butt section while rebuilding the rod (slight splintering while shaping a cork grip). Thought at the time I would rebuild it minus the last section. Since then ive trimmed the damage back with a dremmel 1/2" and got the ferrule fitting fine again. Still tempted though to build the rod with out the butt section.

Was considering building a new 9' 4wt from a quicker, faster blank anyway, probably a Pac Bay quickline. Any thoughts on this particular blank would be appreciated too. I'm familiar with the Dan Craft FTL, FT and Sig V 3 ice range, plus Sage XP and TCR rods, and Scott S3.

Sorry for the long post but eager to get some experienced views before moving on.

Cheers
Dan

Re: Dropping butt section on Dan Craft FTL
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 05, 2018 05:47PM

The proper line weight has a great deal to do with how much line you're holding in the air. A 3-weight and 4-weight line weigh the same, albeit at different lengths.

Yes, people do sometimes drop the butt section on longer multi-piece rods and with good results. Keep in mind that your rod's action will slow noticeably.

Best thing to do is just mock up the rod without the butt section and go cast it. Depending on the distances you're fishing, it may turn out to be just what you want. If not, at least you know before you went to the trouble of completely building it out.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: September 05, 2018 05:54PM

Go over to the CCS database, top left, Stan Grace years ago did an extensive bit of work with Dan Craft blanks dropping one section. Might give you an idea what your up against, if I remeber correctly some of the FT blanks didn't change much dropping the butt section as far as power and action angle.

Posted by: Dan Rees (---.19.6.51.dyn.plus.net)
Date: September 06, 2018 02:05PM

Thanks Spencer, just checked the database out. You are correct with your comment. Looks like the ERN and AA remain pretty much the same when dropping one section on the FTL. Think I'm gonna build it as a 7'6" and buy myself a new 9' 4wt blank.

Any thoughts on the Pac Bay Quickline? I like the look of the CCS numbers and blank weight but have zero experience with pac bay blanks. I'd like something not similar to Dan Craft FT but not quite as high ERN.

Interesting looking at the database, the 3wt FT has a higher ERN than the 4wt, which itself has a higher ERN than one of the 5wt's tested (8.52 v 8.35 v 7.9) all tested by the same tester. This has to be an error right? Or is there this much variation between rod blanks?

Cheers
Dan

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 07, 2018 07:52AM

Keep in mind that fly rod manufacturers do not rate their rods for the same line lengths. Yes one company's 4 weight rod may be much more stiff/powerful than another company's 5 weight rod. It has to do with how much line they expect the caster to hold in the air and the distances those rods are intended to fish.

Often you hear somebody say that they find company A's 5-weight rod better with a #6 line while another person says they find it better with a #5 or even a #4. Then you ask about the distances the two guys are fishing - the first one is fishing in close while the second one is fishing long distances.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: September 07, 2018 08:24AM

Dan,
I fished a few Quicklines, a 5, 8, and a 10. They are very nice, light, straight and well finished. They all fished well, as well as many blanks I've tried costs much more.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster