I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

warped fiberglass rod
Posted by: Peter Genna (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 04, 2018 08:20AM

I made a custom bluefish rod last year out of a Lamiglas mb fiberglass rod for a client . Last week he brings it to me warped rather severely in the upper 9 inches of the rod.He said he keeps it stored straight in his closet and doesn`t know how it happened.Whatever!!!.I called Lamiglas about their warranty and they said the damage was due to user neglect and the rod wouldn`t be covered.Is there any way to straighten this rod out without compromising it`s strength and intergrity?I was thinking of putting pressure on the opposite side of the bend and maybe adding low heat to it.

Re: warped fiberglass rod
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 04, 2018 11:33AM

Glass will take a set. It can be removed somewhat by setting rod horizontal on pegs and rotating the warp upwards, tying a line to the mid of the warp and slightly weighting it enough to pull the warp down and a bit opposite.

Don't use heat, too risky on glass blanks, although it will not hurt if you try a little steam or perform this in a warm area such as a garage or attic. Mostly, time will be your best asset.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: September 04, 2018 05:18PM

You might try running a short string through the tip frame and hanging the rod vertically with the reel on, or some other type of weight at the butt end. Store it that way for him as long as he stored it straight in his closet. Can't hurt.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 04, 2018 11:00PM

Pete, Bluefish are now in season . The best way to straighten that rod is to go out and nail a few.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 14, 2018 12:09PM

I agree with Dennis, Use the rod and see what happens. Tom has the best method of removing this bend.

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster