I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji ECSM Reel Seat Question
Posted by: Mike Gabbay (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 02, 2018 05:47PM

I'm working on my first rod. It's a casting rod kit I picked up from Mud Hole. The reel seat is a Fuji ECSM graphite blank exposed reel seat. Here's a photo link:
[www.mudhole.com]

The question I have is when I slide the reel seat into place the bottom end is nice and snug but the top end is a little loose. I can't build up the top end with an arbor because within the reel seat on the bottom half, there are raised ridges that come about halfway up the seat. They look to be about 1mm thick. I'm concerned that when I glue this up it will ultimately fail since the entire length of the seat is not supported. Also, I can't slide the reel seat from the butt end since the butt end is a little too wide.

I was thinking for trying to wedge the top end during the glue up or I could ream out the ridges but I'm not sure if that will effect the way the blank sits in the reel seat for the exposed part.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji ECSM Reel Seat Question
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 02, 2018 06:07PM

The front part of the ECSM reel seat will accept a size 16 arbor. The back part of the reel seat is sized to fit the blank. I epoxy a polyurethane arbor in the front half of the reel seat, when cured ream the arbor to fit the blank and then epoxy in place on the blank.
Norm

Posted by: Mike Gabbay (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 02, 2018 06:47PM

Genius! Thanks for the advice.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 02, 2018 06:56PM

An easy, much used, reliable way to handle it is to tightly wrap the butt in the area with masking tape to get the diameter you want. When you glue it up be sure you totally encapsulate the tape so it won't deteriorate if water gets in. Don't think that this is not reliable-it is bullet-proof.

I have no problem with Norm's solution - it is also bullet-proof and a little (very little) lighter. But if you don't have the arbor on hand.. . .

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 02, 2018 07:18PM

The trouble with a masking tape arbor with an ECSM reel seat is that the ID of the back part of the reel seat is smaller than the front ID which is 16mm. So if you make a tape arbor to fit the front part of the reel seat you can not pass the back part over it. So the only options are to glue an arbor in the front part and the ream to fit, or ream an arbor to fit the blank and side it into place when seat is being glued in place, or fill the void in the front of the seat with epoxy when gluing in place. The first option is the easiest being much less sloppy.
Norm

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 02, 2018 09:02PM

Sorry Norm, didn't realize that. Thanks for your expertise. I guess I'm missing something as I have used that seat a number of times with no complications. Must have lucked out.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster