I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pro thread glow in the dark..
Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.44.102.191.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: August 31, 2018 12:23PM

Quick question.. Can Pro Wrap Glow in the dark thread be used in size A for guide wraps? Or is it more like metallics that is should only be used for accent?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pro thread glow in the dark..
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 31, 2018 12:54PM

Because thread wrap tension is cumulative along many winds, the strength required in many cases is easily met even with metallics. Within reason, of course. If I were building a heavy duty offshore rod I might consider something different or larger.

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.44.102.191.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: August 31, 2018 12:57PM

I want to build a white rod with glo thread for night fishing.. Since she doesn't really pay attention.. Lol

I hear what your saying.. But they do suggest not using metallics for your base color as its not as strong.. (I guess) just wondering about Pro Products Glo thread..

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: August 31, 2018 01:49PM

Anthony

Maybe the question is not can it be done (probably can) but ought it be done. If all the guide wraps are Glo-Wrap thread there is a risk if a confusing number of visual clues. But if you only make a tip top wrap with Glo-Wrap there will be a single source of visual clue on which to focus.

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.15.236.249.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: August 31, 2018 01:49PM

Never mind.. Just went to the prowrap site, downloaded the manual.. Says right there in the discription that it can be used for guide wraps.. Kinda feel like an idiot.. Lol

Date: August 31, 2018 01:52PM

That is a good point.. I wonder how much that would throw you off.. I have a rod i wrapped with an electric blue and silver wrap at each eye.. Its amazing at night.. But with glo in the dark, might mess you up..

The blue and silver are great, to keep bugs at bay i use a blood tracker light.. Makes the guides pop wonderfully

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: August 31, 2018 07:06PM

Anthony,
Two things,
Stren florescent line.
Big Lighted bobber.

-----------------
You can also take a transparent fiberglass rod blank and put a light and a battery in the butt of the rod. Then, build the rod on top of that. Use the butt cap to work as an on/off switch for the light.

When the light is on, there is a virtual constant illumination from the inside of the rod all of the way to the tip.

But, when you get a bite, the light starts to run up and down the rod as the fish bites the bait. Get ready - set the hook and another fish in the new.

There was a fellow in Idaho - who has since moved - who was building up the blanks from a supplier in Ca. I did some trading with him for the blank in exchange for some equipment. I built the rod up and use it for night fishing for big fish and it works very well indeed.

Good luck

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.direcway.com)
Date: August 31, 2018 08:14PM

Thats acually a really cool idea.. Didnt know they made translucent blanks.. I may have to try and get my hand on one of those... As for the bobber and stren line.. I only use spiderwire, and my brother only uses trilene.. And i never use bobbers.. Unless im on a lake..

Ive seen weaves the entire length of the blank on the internet, never in person.. Wonder how a rod would be effected by that.. Would look interesting with a glo weave

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: September 01, 2018 10:23AM

Years ago there was a gentleman who lit the inside of light colored rods, the light would of course change and give you your cue during a bite. Search Wylie Wiggins as an author in the search function, all dates. He was at Expo early on for some years so some may remember him.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: September 01, 2018 01:58PM

Spence,
Yes, it was Wylie who supplied the blank that I used to make my night rod. He was a very nice fellow.

Take care

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.dhcp.chtrptr.net)
Date: September 02, 2018 01:05AM

I have used the ProWrap Glow thread on several rods, and it works just fine. I use it on two of my personal perch rods for Lake Erie, and I have used it on a bunch of Ice Rods. You would not be able to tell the difference between the ProWrap Glow thread and regular ProWrap thread. To give it a little additional glow, I will mix in some glow pigment into the finish when coating the threads.

Posted by: Paul Wray (138.162.8.---)
Date: September 04, 2018 09:45AM

I would think you could put this tuff called "Glow Dust" into the finish epoxy, and highlight it to any color you want, and that stuff glows really well. I mix it in with white paint, when I make my vertical jigs. They GLOW, glow. You can ge tit in different colors, such a red, blue, green, yellow, purple, pinks, etc.

Date: September 04, 2018 09:52AM

If your talking about the stuff woodworkers use to add a glow to the epoxy... Thats acually a really good idea... If your not talking about the same stuff.. Just type "glow epoxy table" in google..

I might just try that.. The pro thread glows for a really long time.. But as with most uv reactive things, the glow is fairly dull after the first few minutes...

Posted by: Roger Keck (---)
Date: September 05, 2018 09:15AM

This might be a really great option for catfishing at night! Wrap the top 3 or 4 inches below the top with this thread or wrap 3 or 4 guides with it. I was thinking of doing this very thing with my own catfish rods, if i ever get them built! lol Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster