I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

cutting rod butt
Posted by: darrel odland (---)
Date: August 30, 2018 09:50AM

Hay Gang, Need some help on best way to trim off about 1 inch from the butt of latest build.. I miss measured the size of the butt cap and need to shorten it by about an inch. I have considered using a grinder with very thin grinding wheel. Or a hacksaw, Any help/advise would be welcomed
" BENT RODS TO YA"
Darrel

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cutting rod butt
Posted by: John Cates (---)
Date: August 30, 2018 09:54AM

Power chop saw with a fine 60+ tooth blade.

Band saw.

Be careful and good luck.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Paul Darby (---)
Date: August 30, 2018 10:17AM

If your cutting thru the grip, hack saw is fine. If your cutting thru a bear blank then a couple turns pf masking tape is recommended and just cut right thru the tape.

Posted by: chris adams (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 30, 2018 10:33AM

All above will work but I will say the best $40 I ever spent was a Dremel tool. I use it for guide feet, cutting blanks, and many other uses.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: August 30, 2018 11:03AM

Darrel,
This is a chop saw that I modified a bit, to just to perpendicular chopping with a 3 inch abrasive wheel.
I removed the saw from its base, removed all of the trappings of the adjustable base as well as the numbers scribed on the base.
Then, I took a piece of thin aluminum angle stock to use as a back stop for chopping. Finally, I drilled and tapped holes into the mounting plate to mount the angle stock.
The last thing that I did was to remove the saw blade from the saw and replace it with a 3 inch abrasive disk. Then, I made one cut through the angle stock with the disk and I had a perfect fitting backstop for chopping.
Over the years, I have chopped rod blanks, grips, steel bolts, brass tubes, aluminum etc.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

A new current example of the saw as it comes from Harbor Freight:
[www.harborfreight.com]

[www.harborfreight.com]

---------------
Or if you want a more portable and universal tool, here is a heavy duty die grinder that will accept the 3 inch wheels and will do quick work of any chopping as well:

[www.harborfreight.com]

Posted by: Sandy Harris (---.dyn6.twc.com)
Date: August 30, 2018 11:08AM

I'm with Chris....Dremel due to it being so versatile.........but Roger's chop saw assures a more controlled cut

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.218-62-69.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: August 30, 2018 11:24AM

Another Dremel vote here.

Posted by: William Minard (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: August 30, 2018 01:47PM

Dremel best option imho but if you don't have one and don't want to buy one there is another option off the wall. If you have a archery shop close buy ask them to use their high speed arrow saw to cut it. Should not cost much if any thing at all, works great like a Dremel.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: August 30, 2018 04:39PM

Great tip!

Posted by: Paul Wray (---)
Date: August 30, 2018 05:07PM

I've used a Drexel and then started using my angle grinder, with a 4.5 "cut off wheel. Works fine, just have that wheel a humming. This is for rod blanks.

For Eva foam handles, I use a 12" chop saw. It does a really nice job, imo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2018 05:49PM by Paul Wray.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: August 30, 2018 08:25PM

I use my old ryobi 10” mitre saw. I always tape to prevent splintering

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: August 30, 2018 08:31PM

Well Roger , you finally sold me a Harbor Freight chop saw with extra 3" abrasive wheels. Ordered it today!

Date: August 30, 2018 10:08PM

Darrel,
This was one of my first blank cutting saws that I made:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

I found a $20 8 inch miter saw at a pawn shop.
I removed the guides and made a new cutting surface out of channel steel. I wanted to raise the cutting surface because when using an abrasive cut off wheel, the wheel wears down and a miter saw will only go down so far. This would stop from getting all of the available use out of a large abrasive cut off wheel.

Then, I used a piece of aluminum channel for a back stop for cutting. After getting the steel channel bolted down and the aluminum backing bolted down, one cut with the new abrasive cut off wheel cut a nice tight fitting slot for the wheel.

For this saw, I use .060 inch Norton Tool cutoff wheels. They used to be less expensive, but now they are about $20 per wheel. But one wheel lasts a very long time. I have cut literally everything with this saw.

I also added a used $1 light with a halogen bulb from the thrift store to brighten things up.

I ended up selling that one and made another one out of a new 8 inch miter saw that was given to me for Christmas one year. Same design, same principle and I use the same cutting wheel.

[www.mscdirect.com]|dc&pcrid=164110813428&rd=k&product_id=01350941&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlu2V2piW3QIVT1p-Ch3REg6DEAQYASABEgLEDfD_BwE

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---)
Date: August 31, 2018 02:35PM

Roger,
You don't mess around, you straight up have the right tools for the right job. Props.
Lance

Date: August 31, 2018 07:11PM

Lance,
Indeed.
As you may have guessed from my posts, I am not a believer in a leatherman tool.

If I need a screwdriver, I want a screwdriver.
If I need an end wrench, I want an end wrench.

I don't do well with multi purpose tools which do a lot of jobs but none of them particularly well.

Besides, it is always fun to make a better gidget!!

Posted by: darrel odland (---)
Date: September 02, 2018 03:17PM

Thanks, Everybody who responded!!
"Bent Rods to ya"
Darrel

Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (---.hampton.k12.va.us)
Date: September 04, 2018 08:41AM

Dremel, but a 4 inch cut off wheel works wonder as well.

Capt. Craig Freeman
Grading Scales Sportfishing and Back River Rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster