I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide wrapping thread color
Posted by: ron zimmerman (---.tcso.qwest.net)
Date: August 29, 2018 01:54PM

How do you guys choose ? I have been stumped for some time on what color thread to use on my Owt build . I have wrapped and rewrapped til I'm dizzy . It seems all my choices lean towards brown trout colors but I have two 1wts wrapped that way and it's time for a change . Oddly enough , for me , this has proved to be one of the most difficult parts of rod building . So , how do you choose ? TIA

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide wrapping thread color
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 29, 2018 04:12PM

Look all around you - billboards, golf bags, birds, fish, etc., etc. Good color combinations abound. You just have to keep an eye out for them.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 29, 2018 04:51PM

I consider the blank color first. All colors will go with black, grey , charcoal, white. For other blank colors look at a color wheel on line and try to find your blank. The color across the wheel, and many near it will look great with your blank. Then, if you keep your trim silver metallic, gold metallic, or blank color metallic with a fine wrap on the outside to give it definition, you will have a good looking rod. I don't go for a lot of colors, just a main color, a trim color, a metallic and probably black for definition. and that's it. I also get confused and don't have the patience for multiple colors.

Some of my favorite wrap colors are: garnet without CP, looks like ripe black cherries. Goes great with silver metallic. Candy apple, looks great on most blanks, I use silver or gold metallic + black for definition, or just black trim. Forest green and burnt orange, either one the main, either one the trim. Orange really looks good on green blanks. Dark green or forest green will look great on an orange blank. For inshore salt I like teal with holographic silver metallic trim, teal abalone sometimes. One I did recently was simply almond main wrap with black trim on a charcoal blank and it looks great.

Don't wrap whole rod and then tear it apart if you don't like it; wrap a few test wraps, complete with epoxy, and work until you find one you like, and THEN wrap the rod.

It will come, but I suggest until you feel comfortable with mixing a lot of colors, keep it simple.

Posted by: Scott Appley (---.glt-wy.client.bresnan.net)
Date: August 29, 2018 05:18PM

I'm new to this as well and I have had similar doubts. I took two rod tips and wrapped every color of thread I have on both pieces and put finish on all the raps so I can compare colors side by side. Having done a few different colored rods does have some impact on color choice.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: August 29, 2018 05:52PM

I suppose this would be considered "deep" into the world of color but I use this all the time in the graphics work I do. Kinda spilled over into rod building.

[color.adobe.com]

Date: August 29, 2018 07:27PM

Thank you for all the replies . After some trials and errors (many ) I ay have found my scheme depending on what the CP does to it . I'll know more in a couple of hrs . You guys and this forum are great ! BTW , the color of the blank is a dark honey brn same as it's big sister the killer 1wt !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2018 07:34PM by ron zimmerman.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: August 29, 2018 07:48PM

Ron,
I do as Henry Ford did for his Model T's.
You can use any color that you like as long as it is black, or a color that matches the blank with a nice metallic contrasting bit of trim. Just a bit of trim is fine. A lot of trim - not so much

Good luck

Date: August 29, 2018 07:58PM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ron,
> I do as Henry Ford did for his Model T's.
> You can use any color that you like as long as it
> is black, or a color that matches the blank with a
> nice metallic contrasting bit of trim. Just a bit
> of trim is fine. A lot of trim - not so much
>
> Good luck

Thanks Roger . FWIY , the trim on the above rod calmed down (a little ) after I put on the epoxy . She's still a blinder tho .

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 29, 2018 08:03PM

Cannot tell you what colors work - failed color theory and have trouble getting matching socks on in the morning.

What I can tell you is never, ever ask the wife for an aesthetic opinion. If you do and then wrap another color combination you'll never hear the end of it.

Posted by: herb canter (70.40.101.---)
Date: August 29, 2018 09:01PM

+ 1 on the " Trouble getting socks to match" comment by Don , i just use one color no trim, no metallic's or anything else , wraps are as short as i can get them while still covering entire foot , very minimal but i only build rod's for myself . I would guess i'm the only one who uses just a single color lol. Excellent info on this thread though and will be referenced in the future i'm sure.

Posted by: Ladd Flock (---)
Date: August 29, 2018 09:16PM

Check the beer aisle at the local grocery or package store for ideas. Lots of great color combinations in logos set against dark bottles.
[www.google.com]

Posted by: John Cates (---)
Date: August 29, 2018 09:33PM

KEEP.
IT.
SIMPLE.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Sandy Harris (---.dyn6.twc.com)
Date: August 29, 2018 10:36PM

Google "color wheel"........

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: August 29, 2018 10:36PM

Have a color wheel on hand and use it for matching as well as contrasting as well as complementary colors.

Generally speaking the use of the wheel will keep you out of trouble and keep your rods looking great:

[www.google.com]

How to use a color wheel:

[www.dimensionsthruart.com]

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.res.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: August 30, 2018 12:30PM

What we do if not using CP is make a wrap (or 2), and then flood with alcohol.
That will mimic epoxy finish and you can tell in just a minute whether you like it or not.
Sometimes on a repair I've had to do that a few times to get thread to match the original.
Hope that helps.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Date: August 30, 2018 01:33PM

Thank you guys , I have made a decision and wrapped it . I used a brn, gold,cranberry tiger thread . No trim . I'll post a pic after the cp dries . Thx again .
Ron

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster