I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

A second coat
Posted by: Morris Elliott (---.dyn6.twc.com)
Date: August 28, 2018 09:33PM

Can I put a second coat of epoxy over a first coat that is completely cured? Thanks for any help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A second coat
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 28, 2018 09:43PM

Yes
Norm

Date: August 28, 2018 09:58PM

Thanks Norm!

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: August 29, 2018 12:18AM

But, if you put on enough finish on the first coat you don't need a 2nd coat.

Good luck

Posted by: Morris Elliott (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: August 29, 2018 08:53AM

That would be my problem roger.. seems I didn’t and have a low spot. It’s my 5th rod and I have way so much to learn. Thanks guys for the help

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: August 29, 2018 12:44PM

Morris,
You can keep putting rod wrapping epoxy over cured epoxy till the cows come home. Most of us apply a thin coat first then go over it with another coat or even 3 to 4+ if you need to. I typically do a thin coat, let it cure, then go over it with a second coat that fills in the thread texture and levels the finish (build up coat). If there are uneven spots I will go over it again. I usually try to do just 2 coats but sometimes you need to do more to make it look right.
Tight Lines,
Lance

Posted by: Morris Elliott (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: August 29, 2018 02:55PM

Awesome info Lance!! Thanks

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.jst.pa.atlanticbb.net)
Date: August 29, 2018 05:45PM

Morris

I typically apply 2 to 3 coats of lite build finish on every rod I build (I'm up to about 40 rods now). You should be able to apply a second (3rd etc.) within 2 to 3 days of the first coat without any further prep of the finish surface, and maybe even a little longer. I usually wait about 24 hours between coats.

Rog

Posted by: Morris Elliott (---)
Date: August 29, 2018 07:02PM

I waited over 24 hours and applied a second coat. I think that will do it. I’ll poat some pics tomorrow. I’m believe I’m more addicted to building rods than I am fishing!!! Thanks again for the help guys.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: August 29, 2018 07:57PM

I typically do a lot of production builds. i.e. 20-30 rods at a time.
As the saying goes, time is money. So, in order to meet schedules, I typically use only one + coat of high build flex coat for my rods. By doing this, I can coat the rods one morning, and ship them the following morning.

When I say 1+ coat, I use the following technique for virtually all of my builds. I have everything ready to go on all of the rods for finish application.
I mix up a batch of flex coat and starting from one end, get enough finish on the the butt wraps and the guide wraps to insure a complete fill of the threads.
Then, using bright light and magnification, I start from one end, using a heat gun to thin the finish, insure that all bubbles are gone and that the correct amount of finish is one the rod on all locations from the tip to the butt of the rod. While doing this, if I find a thin spot, I will add just a bit of finish and use the heat gun to let the finish flow in with the rest of the finish.

Then, after completing one pass, I will do it one more time. This pass typically is nothing more than an inspection pass, but again, if I find a thick or a thin spot, I will take care of it by adding or deleting finish and smoothing finish with the heat gun.

At that time, the rod gets transferred to the drum drying with its buddies for an overnight spin on the drum dryer.

In the following morning, each rod will be removed from the drum dryer for final inspection and if it passes, will be putt in the shipping rack for packing later in the day.

Once in a blue moon, a rod has a problem, and that rod will get fixed in the next batch of rods down the line.

But, with only a single 8-12 hour drying cycle, the builds can get out in a timely fashion to meet the expectations and dates for the clients.

Good luck

Date: August 29, 2018 10:19PM

That was absolutely great info roger!! I’m no where near that kind of production, but I can sure utilize the same technique on one rod. I’ve been using lite pro-kote from midsole, but I have some flex coat I’m gonna try on my next one.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.jst.pa.atlanticbb.net)
Date: August 30, 2018 07:05PM

Morris

The mention of 40 builds so far is over a period of 14-15 years. No big production shop, just a hobby builder. I have tried a lot of different finishes at one time or another and have settled in on Threadmaster lite as my go to finish. Not because I think it's any better than the others, I have just got used to it's handling properties and I seem to "get away with" with some "things" with this finish that I don't think I would with others. Try several brands and stick with the one that works best for you. The more you use it the better you will get with it!

Rog

Date: August 30, 2018 10:01PM

Thanks roger! I am going to try flex coat on the next one and see how I like it. The second coat on this one finished it off perfect. I was going to try and post pic but the forum won’t let me (new here and still figuring it out). The info and knowledge here is overwhelming and appreciated by a newby like me. Thanks again all!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster