I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Can anyone Help find a specific blank...
Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.44.102.191.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: August 28, 2018 01:42PM

I am trying for the second time to make a near duplicate of my fenwick elitetech smallmouth..

ESMS692M-XF 6'9" medium 1/8-3/4oz. 6-12lb line

The only blank ive seen with a lure weight so far is on mudhole.. Its..

Pac Bay T2SP723-2

Heres a link
[www.mudhole.com]|utmccn=(organic)|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=(not%20provided)&__utmx=-&__utmv=-&fragment=%2FTradition-II-T2SP723-2&__utmk=197849260&__utmb=267503436.5.9.1535477861111&__utmc=267503436&__utma=267503436.1916063863.1534746500.1535198719.1535477846.5

If anyone knows of a better fit, please help.. Thanks guys..

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can anyone Help find a specific blank...
Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: August 28, 2018 04:02PM

Anthony, this is just my opinion, but I think you're dealing with a misprint for the specs of the blank you linked in your post. A blank rated for 4 - 8# test should no way be rated for baits up to 15/16 of an ounce. A blank rated for a high of 8# test (and yes you can use heavier line than a blank is rated for) is going to normally have a max lure weight rating of 1/2 oz, tops. Just looking at the dimensions of the Pac Bay blank kind of tells you that this is not a blank that is going to handle 15/16 oz baits. And I know .... blank dimensions can sometimes be deceiving, but I don't think they are in this case. I think the listed specs are deceiving.

Look at the Fenwick blank you're trying to match. It's rated to 12# line for 3/4 oz baits.

Anyhow .... good luck in your search for a blank to match the Fenwick. I will just say that every Fenwick rod I have fished, (3) while being very nice rods, were all lighter powered than their specs would lead you to believe.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: August 28, 2018 04:29PM

David, you beat me to it. I just looked up the specs.and prices. Anthony, check out Utmost Enterprises also for Pac Bay and Batson.

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.direcway.com)
Date: August 28, 2018 04:55PM

Well thats disheartening lol.. Thanks though guys.. This is why i come here.. I just dont get how the fenwick has such a braod range for weight.. And ive put that rod through its paces.. It can handle larger lures.. And still sling light tackle verry well..

I have to agree with you on the fenwick being lighter powered too.. I just wish you could get the blanks they use..

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (159.100.164.---)
Date: August 28, 2018 05:03PM

Anthony, I know that you are looking to duplicate this mythical Fenwick, take a look at the common cents system [common-cents.info] there is a data base that will convert the info into a measurement that you can use to find a blank that is close to what you want. I think there is a data base of blanks that show what blanks fit into the measurement that you get. If all else fails, go to your local big box store and pull on a few St Croix factory rods find one that is close and you can cross that to a blank that you can order.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 28, 2018 06:24PM

If you are completely happy with your Fenwick rod, just buy another one.
Norm

Date: August 28, 2018 07:20PM

They discontinued the model, im sure they're out there.. But i want to build the rod.. Wouldnt feel right buying another

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: August 28, 2018 08:21PM

Then do as Mark suggested and measure the rod via the Common Cents Sytem. If you measure it’s intrinsic power (IP) and action angle (AA), and post those numbers here, someone may be able to recommend a blank based on those numbers. There are a number of people on this site that do CCS numbers on the blanks they build. Otherwise we are all just guessing.
Norm

Date: August 28, 2018 08:38PM

Ive seen the chart, never understood it.. When i get a chance to look over and read that link i will most Definatly

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 28, 2018 10:23PM

Anthony, without using data such as the CC System, all you will get is opinions, not facts, and many opinions are biased and unreliable.

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---)
Date: August 29, 2018 11:09PM

Boy its taking me longer then i thought to get through learning the cc system.. I wish there was more time in a day.. Im getting there..

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.44.102.191.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: August 31, 2018 12:28PM

Ok, so i understand the cc system to a degree.. Ill need some help once i get the numbers together.. Ill make a New post about that once i get the info i need.. For right now it seems im on a mission to gather pennies.. Lol most of the ones i have are from the 70s and 80s apparently.. Im assuming im going to need a fair amount to place the proper bend on the fenwick.. Thanks again everyone.. You all are new go to for anything rod building.. And its very good to know, like with fly tying, there are people out there willing to keep an art form alive through knowledge.

Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: August 31, 2018 03:46PM

If you have a scale that will read in grams, you can use anything as weight, it doesn't have to be pennies. I've actually used bullet sinkers, and it worked beautifully. Since I don't have a scale I trusted the advertised weights of the sinkers. Using them made it much easier to convert the weight to grams. I don't know how precise my measurements are, but they were more than close enough for my use.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster