I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Heat Shrink EVA Rod Grips Question
Posted by: Paul Wray (---)
Date: August 27, 2018 06:12PM

I am building my first rod ever, and have decided that I really like the Eva grips with heat shrink "X" pattern over them. I have the grips sanded down and Heat Shrinked so that the gimble and reel seat line up flawlessly. The problem I am having is on the front grip, where the end of the grip is and the first guide, how do you hide the heat shrink? To explain more, I am sanding the top of the grip to have a flat top angled downward so that the line doesn't cut into the grip when loaded. I cannot find any winding checks that have a flat top, or is wide enough to cover the heat shrink, but not to wide to stick up past the grip/shrink on the flat top.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Heat Shrink EVA Rod Grips Question
Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: August 27, 2018 07:28PM

Paul

If you have more shrink tube, I would think about cutting off the present shrink and slide a new piece of shrink and have it over hang the front of the grip.
When the tube shrinks it will fold down over the front of the fore grip. Trim the end and fill the void with epoxy. It may wind up being be small enough of a diameter that you could fit a winding check.
If the fill in with turns out ok I would paint it and leave it be.
Shrink tube can be a problem to trim evenly because it is pliable. A trick I learned,if possible place the assembly in a freezer and wait until it freezes hard, then it is easy to trim with a razor blade, x-acto etc. before it starts to warm up.
If it dosen't fit in a freezer try a can of cold spot (an aerosol can) used in checking circuit boards.
Good luck.

Posted by: Paul Wray (---)
Date: August 28, 2018 10:00AM

Yeah, I know what you mean. I have left it long, then trimmed so that about 3/8" is sticking over after it is shrunk, then, I heat it again , and press it down, and get it tucked correctly, then I press down on the end of the foreground onto a cool granite counter, and move spots ever few seconds for about 2 minutes, the granite is cool from the AC, and absorbe the heat, and then the shrink wrap forms nicely to the foam, easy to hide behind a winding cheek.

This isn't really my problem though, my problem is, is that the winding cheek is to large of diameter at the top. I really need a winding cheek that is flat on one side of the outer diameter. I think I need to post a picture to better illustrate what I am talking about.

Posted by: Paul Wray (138.162.8.---)
Date: August 28, 2018 10:57AM

A MS Paint photo that better illustrates what I am looking for can be found here.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: August 28, 2018 11:01AM

Make your own winding check. Can use a piece of a polyurethane foam shim of an appropriate diameter; it can be easily shaped, coated with a tinted structural epoxy and wrapped to match your guide wraps.
Norm

Posted by: herb canter (70.40.101.---)
Date: August 28, 2018 12:52PM

You could also sand that foam foregrip down like the top all the way around so the front of the grip bevels down to more of a point instead of just having the top beveled . That would let you use a much smaller perfectly round winding check . Dunking the shrink under a cold water faucet or spraying the shrink with a spray bottle of cold water immediately after heating it will instantly harden it if needed .

I remove and reapply shrink all the time if i'm not happy the way it turns out .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster