I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Travel rod build
Posted by: Frank Budo (---)
Date: August 27, 2018 03:55PM

I’m looking to build a 9’ (4 pc.) shore jigging rod for a friend. He wants to target coastal surf species fish. I’m having difficulty finding 4 pc blanks other than fly rod blanks. Any suggestions is appreciated. I was wondering if a fly blank could suit that purpose?
His build specs would be med power, moderate action 20-30# line, 1/2- 1oz lures.
Thanks,
Frank

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Travel rod build
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 27, 2018 05:32PM

Logic would tell me to look for a fast action fly rod blank that will cast line that weighs about 1/2-1 oz. Come on fly experts, about a 12 wt? The real issue is loading the blank properly for casting. A "fast" fly rod will be more "moderate" than a spin or cast blank called "fast." I think this is feasible, but need some expert fly guys to chime in.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: August 27, 2018 06:53PM

None of my 12 wts. will throw 1 oz. Know of a 4 pc. 8 1/2 ft. 8 - 20 lb. line with an upper limit of 1 oz. and a 3 pc. 9 ft. rated 15 - 30 lb. line that will throw your weight all day and than some.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2018 09:15PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---)
Date: August 27, 2018 09:04PM

Frank,
The CTS has a 9'0" blank (Jetstream) for 1/2 - 1 oz. 1 ounce.

It comes stock in a 2pc. I just emailed CTS to see if they will build id]t in a 4pc.
Herb

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---)
Date: August 27, 2018 09:20PM

Frank
CTS will build it - but it will be pricey - $350 U.S. Plus actual Fedex from me to you.
Herb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2018 09:51PM by Herb Ladenheim.

Date: August 27, 2018 10:28PM

Spencer, can you email me the information on the 4 piece?

Date: August 27, 2018 10:31PM

Herb, 350 is cost prohibitive but I appreciate your reply!

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 28, 2018 10:34AM

Frank
No problem.
Just dawned on me that Jetstream is based on the Revo fly rod. And the fly rod comes in 4 pieces in a #16 wt fly blank.
That is more than enough to handle your lure weight requirements.
The price of the Jetstream reflects the design work required to make it a 4 pc rod.
The Revo is already a 4 pc rod - $250
That may still be more than you wish to spend.
herb

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---)
Date: September 07, 2018 04:39PM

Frank, check out Rod Geeks. They have a 4pcs surf rod.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---)
Date: September 07, 2018 04:44PM

This is the one.

[rodgeeks.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster