I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help with understanding what a noodle rod exactly is..
Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.15.236.249.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: August 25, 2018 03:13PM

So one guy asked if i can price out a 7, 9 and 10' noodle rod.. Something with a small diameter but, hes going to be using them in the inlets and smaller creeks by a bay i guess... Im assuming somewhere around the new york/new jersey area.. He said hes looking for something that has alot of play, good casting, but can handle something fairly big, since he will be near the bay.. Hes looking for medium fast..

Im guessing a "noodle" rod is slang for something like a asteelhead rod? Or would it be more like a panfish rod? Im guessing more for steelies if hes looking something that can take weight...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help with understanding what a noodle rod exactly is..
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 25, 2018 04:32PM

This website is an outstanding resource. Many only view the forum but there is so much else available here. Such as: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Find your info on Noodle Rods right there.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: August 25, 2018 04:53PM

A "noodle rod" used to be a long [like 9'], full flex, light action fiberglass rod used to drift bait, usually fish eggs or synthetic imitations of fish eggs, to spawning Pacific Salmon. Neither casting ability or power were required - except way down in the butt of the rod. It may be that "noodle rods" have evolved into something else, especially when the term is used by people who want you to buy more stuff.

Posted by: Alex Weissman (---)
Date: August 25, 2018 05:36PM

IMO it's a fly rod with a spinning reel.

Date: August 25, 2018 05:49PM

I hate when people calls things by slang terms... Ill check that section out thanks guys.. So if someone asked for a noodle rod, what would you guys look for blank wise.. I read the discription.. Was basically exactly what i already knew.. As for calling it a fly rod with a spin reel, i can see that.. But how would you go about selecting a blank?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2018 05:54PM by Anthony Unger.

Posted by: herb canter (70.40.101.---)
Date: August 25, 2018 07:35PM

"He said hes looking for something that has a lot of play, good casting, but can handle something fairly big"

You have to have a talk with this guy and get more info , ask him what rod he used to fish and hopefully he gives you a rod series, the manufacturer of the rod etc... because you need a more definitive answer. Ask what weights he typically throws that will help a great deal . Sounds like he likes very moderate rods that bend deep into the mid section but still have sufficient backbone .

" Hes looking for medium fast"

He probably means moderate fast with a medium power rating which means not too light but not too heavy , tell the guy you need more info because it's way too easy to make a mistake with the limited amount of info he gave you .

I typed in noodle rod blank at Mudhole and the below popped up , that should help.

St. Croix 3S106ULS2 Spinning-Noodle Rod Blank
SKU: #3S106ULS2

$145.00
10'6" | 2-6 lb. | 1/16 - 1/4 oz. | Slow Action | Ultra Light Power | 2 Piece | 4.0 Tip | 0.415 Butt | Carbon Pearl Finish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2018 07:42PM by herb canter.

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.44.102.191.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: August 25, 2018 07:42PM

I agree.. And i will.. He owns a tackle shop oddly enough.. He wants these rods after seeing my last one.. And he said he will gladly carry them in his shop.. Yay me.. But yeah.. I definatly need more info.. This i know.. But being he owns a shop, he can run whatever his heart desires... I told him i need a reel to match to the rods.. He likes the idea of the microwave guide system..

My main goal for this thread is simply trying to figure out what style of rod to go with.. Like my last rod was a popping rod.. That wouldnt work for his application (obviously) just trying to identify what class to go with i guess is a better way to put it.. Then, when i have a better idea what direction im looking, ill really get down to the nitty gritty with him.. Right now he just wants prices.. I know i need more info for that.. But i need a starting point

Date: August 25, 2018 07:50PM

You might have missed my edit , i added more info , the below is what popped up when i typed in "Noodle rod blank " on Mudhole's site .

You can get noodle rod blanks a lot cheaper than what St. Croix is charging . First thing is to find out what weights he typically throws because inlets have strong currents .

St. Croix 3S106ULS2 Spinning-Noodle Rod Blank
SKU: #3S106ULS2

$145.00
10'6" | 2-6 lb. | 1/16 - 1/4 oz. | Slow Action | Ultra Light Power | 2 Piece | 4.0 Tip | 0.415 Butt | Carbon Pearl Finish

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.44.102.191.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: August 25, 2018 07:52PM

Oop.. Yeah i did.. Lol thanks for the input, next time i get out there to see him ill get as much info off him as i can

Date: August 25, 2018 08:01PM

He actually owns a tackle shop , meet him there and ask him to show you a rod that appeals to him and is closest to the description to what he considers a noodle rod blank , don't forget to confirm the length and weights he intends to throw .

He probably means a blank that has a medium power rating and a moderate to moderate fast action with some backbone and if thats the case every manufacturer will have a ton of choices to choose from , Batson is great , MHX , RodGeeks etc...

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: August 25, 2018 10:17PM

North Fork Composites has three blanks of different powers starting at 4 lb. IGFA rated, the StN 1162-2 thru 1164-2 blanks in the Salmon / Steelhead section. In the early days alot of noodles were made on 6 or 7 wt. fly blanks. the grips and reel seat were built on an extension.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 25, 2018 11:16PM

the 9 ft light and the 10'6 work great for noodle rods on this page [rodgeeks.com]
the crappie guys love them and reasonable price

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Date: August 25, 2018 11:24PM

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> North Fork Composites has three blanks of
> different powers starting at 4 lb. IGFA rated, the
> StN 1162-2 thru 1164-2 blanks in the Salmon /
> Steelhead section. In the early days alot of
> noodles were made on 6 or 7 wt. fly blanks. the
> grips and reel seat were built on an extension.

Forgot to include NFC , very very rare to have anybody say anything other than great things about their blanks but when you throw the discounts that can be had now it would be foolish to not take a serious look at what they have to offer.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: August 26, 2018 10:20AM

[www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

The blanks that are called drifter and boon dogger blanks fit the exact model of the Noodle rod.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: August 26, 2018 10:56AM

Not much distance casting with a noodle rod - mostly short underhand or sidearm "flips" upstream to start a drift.With a noodle rod you want your bait to drift along the bottom, not stay put. A 1/4 oz. weight, usually less, is all that is necessary.

Date: August 26, 2018 12:53PM

I think im going to look onto northfolk composites.. Thier website isnt phone friendly.. So ill have to wait to look on my pc..

I really do like rainshadow, but theres 1 dealer about 100 miles away.. And they seem to cater more towards the fly rod end..

Thanks for the input guys.. Ill post when i get more accurate specs.. Then make a selection, see what you guys think.. All of you have more experience with a wide range of rod types.. I only really ever used fly rods, 4 and 8wt... Ultralights, and bass rods.. And most of the rods im used to are "all around" rods, not application specific..

Posted by: Jay McKnight (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: August 27, 2018 06:58PM

North Fork is running a deal right now where you get 65% off on 2 or more blanks and free shipping to boot. No brainer.

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.direcway.com)
Date: August 27, 2018 08:10PM

It really is a no brainer... Just convincing the wife is pure rocket science... My side work just slowed down, so cash flow for anything but bills is hard to come by.. Atleast in her eyes lol

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster