I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

stream smallie 7-footer blank ideas
Posted by: Steve Linabery (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 24, 2018 11:18PM

First time posting.

I'm looking to build a 7-foot spinning rod for fishing smallmouth in small streams. Wading creeks for 12-16" and occasional 18" smallies is my idea of heaven on Earth.

I want a rod with light power but with a quick tip. Most everything I throw is pretty light, so I like the extra length of a 7'. I use 4 to 6 lb copolymer line.

I want it to be very quick for working surface poppers, and very sensitive for working small jigs.

The Avid 6'6" light power fast action rod seems (in the shop, I haven't fished with it) to have these qualities, although it seems slightly slow, and it's not 7'.

Hoping some of the experts around here can offer ideas for a blank that would satisfy me.

Thanks in advance
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: stream smallie 7-footer blank ideas
Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: August 24, 2018 11:30PM

Try a light power spin jig blank. These blanks have a very fast action with good power in the butt section. The fast tip makes them very good for working top water lures and working jigs. A lot of brands available, depends on what you want to spend. You do not have to spend a lot of money to get an excellent blank.
Norm

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 24, 2018 11:36PM

Popping rod blanks often work well for this.

Posted by: Steve Linabery (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 24, 2018 11:39PM

Thanks, Norman.

I'd like to keep the blank cost in the $100-$200 range.

This is my first build. I'm handy and careful and research things to death. I'll be practicing on some old rods first.

But I'd like to make this something fairly special, something I won't regret the effort on. I'm not after something pretty to look at.

Maybe as a first attempt it's better to try something in the middle of the road, so to speak, so I can base the next iteration on what I find lacking in this one?

I'd like to hear brands and models if anyone has any that come to mind. Just to know where to start looking.

Thanks!

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: August 24, 2018 11:58PM

It is hard to go wrong with an MHX blank they are an outstanding value and make into a very nice rod that you can be proud of. Their lifetime warranty is excellent with no hassles, just make sure to register the blank with MHX. [www.mudhole.com]
Norm

Posted by: herb canter (70.40.101.---)
Date: August 25, 2018 02:15AM

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 25, 2018 06:34AM

[www.anglersworkshop.com]

PBASP873 7'3" Fast Light 1 6-15 lbs. 1/4-5/8 oz. 4 0.39 1.52 49.75

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.15.236.249.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: August 25, 2018 08:26AM

You sound alot like me lol..

Ive built 2 rods so far, my first was a 150$ mudhole.com kit that included a wrapper and rod with split grip handle, good rod for what it is, i wish i would have gotten onto this forum and picked brains before jumping into it..

My second rod i wanted to make something a little more tailored to slinging in line spinners, i opted for MHX, blank is a reasonable price, i got the P843-2 7' popping rod.. (If you got to MHX website its under the inshore section of blanks) 6-12lb 1/4-1/2oz.. Fast action, medium power for $76.25...

It cast like a dream when used for spinners, has a little trouble casting earthworms with small splitshot any distance over 25' but honestly thats not to shabby..

Has a fairly stiff backbone in my opinion, but is one of the most sensitive rods ive ever played with..

One last thing... My second rod came out 20x better then the first.. Im still tossing the idea back and forth of redoing it..

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (159.100.164.---)
Date: August 25, 2018 10:41AM

From the Batson line up:

REVS72ML Satin Black 7'2" 1 6-12lb. 1/8-3/8oz.
IMMWS72ML Titanium Chrome 7'2" 1 6-12lb. 1/8-3/8oz.

St Croix:

4S70LXF 7'0" | 4-8 lb. | 1/16 - 1/4 oz. | Extra Fast Action | Light Power
4S70MLF 7'0" | 4-10 lb. | 1/8 - 3/8 oz. | Fast Action | Medium-Light Power

Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: August 25, 2018 01:24PM

I haven't fished any of the blanks already mentioned, but I do know that the Immortal series of rod blanks from Rainshadow ("the Batson line up that Mark just mentioned) are outstanding rod blanks. Phenomenal even. I'd give the IMMWS72ML that Mark mentioned some serious consideration.

As far as offering a blank suggestion myself, you may want to look at the NFC DS6107 from the IM series. It's a drop shot blank, so it has an extremely fast tip, with a decent back bone. It's 6'10" (a little shorter than 7' may help with casting in tight spaces) with an extra fast action, rated at 1/8 - 3/8 oz weights and 4 - 8# line.

Very sensitive and an 18" smallie will feel like you've hooked a tank. lol It is a blast to fish. It's not a powerful blank, so if you're going to be fishing Texas rigged baits, or jigs with anything other than a very light weed guard, it is not the blank for you. But for light wire open hooked baits, oh yeah.

NFC is having a buy one blank get 50% off, buy two blanks get 65% off sale right now. With the sale prices the blank would come in around $90, or less.

Posted by: Alex Weissman (---)
Date: August 25, 2018 06:38PM

I use a couple of Rainshadow immortal blanks for finesse bass fishing and love them. My rods are shorter than you like but are very sensitive and extra fast for 6-15 lb line.

Posted by: Ken Finch (192.95.12.---)
Date: August 27, 2018 08:03AM

FWIW, the CTS people had an ad in the last issue of the magazine and are now selling blanks direct from New Zealand to the U.S. for a single shipping charge of $22. Custom colors and quick delivery. No I have not tried this direct service yet but plan to in the near future. Use order code RMM0918 to save 15% on blank price.

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.dhcp.chtrptr.net)
Date: August 30, 2018 10:53PM

A great blank for that kind of fishing is the American Tackle Bushido SJ72/4-8 . It was born for light line smallmouth bass fishing. I have built several rods on this blank just for Smallies in the River. It is great for throwing light jigs and small cranks for bronze backs. Another blank would be the Bushido SP68/4-8, both blanks are reasonably priced, and perform beyond their price range. Built with MicroWave Air guides, these two rods can tackle nearly anything the river can come up with. The two piece SP72/4-8 is an amazing stream trout blank and equally comfortable with Smallmouth.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: September 01, 2018 06:16PM

My favorite stream smallie rod is none of the above, a company not mentioned much anymore. United Composites makes an XF blank, rated 2 -10 lb line, that's great for throwing the small stuff on the Umpqua River. I throw AC Shiners, jigs, finesse worms, etc on it. They make the blank 6 1/2, 7, and 7ft 8 in models, mine is the 6 1/2 ft version. UC65LXF thru 78LXF. Angler's Workshop is where I got mine.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster